GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Cough after Nissen

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Cough after Nissen

I had the Nissen procedure in 2007 to relieve a chronic cough caused by acid reflux and repair a hiatus hernia.  It did provide me some relief but the cough did not totally disappear.  Lately, my cough is back in full force and I get attacks where I gasp for air and cough until i retch.  I think that the wrap is still intact as food still gets stuck if I eat too quickly (rice).  What could cause this flare-up in the coughing?  Maybe a hiatus hernia through the wrap?  Has anyone had similar issues?
HI and welcome to the GERD forum.

Not being in the  medical profession...I can only guess, but an ENT should be able to help if this is due to post nasal drip.....alot with GERD issues does have this problem.

As I mentioned in another thread, it is possible that ur hernia is secondary to another condition and it might be wise to have the dr consider that and rule it out.

Have ur thyroid checked and I am sure ur dr will know what else to look at.

I would also caution u on the diet and to continue to be mindful of the foods that can cause excess acid production in ur stomach.

Please keep us posted
"selma"
Thanks for the reply Selma.  I have had a head and neck CT which ruled out PND.  Also my thyroid has been cjhecked through blood testing.  I am thinking that something is wrong with the surgically repaired LES (Nissen).  I have a consult with my surgeon in mid June to discuss what steps canm be taken to check on the status of my reflux.  It will probably be a gastroscopy, 24 hr pH test and manometry.  In total I've had this annoying cough for more than 3 years and I cannot wait to finally get it eradicated.

Thanks for the support.  I feel that there are many out there just like me i.e. plagued with coughing/choking issues for long periods of time.
U r welcome...I too have a cough and choking, but was told it is due to another dx of mine....I actually start to choke while laughing...at times to a point of vomiting...not good.

I pray u find ur answers and know we are here for support!!
"selma"
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
GMO CORN
3 hrs ago by gymdandee
Barb135 commented on FDA issued a warning ...
Feb 08
DMRobbins0226 commented on My GYN made me mad.
Feb 08