GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Could a hard, gagging cough be GERD
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Could a hard, gagging cough be GERD

For about 6 months last year and now for the past 4 or 5 months, I've had a forceful, persistant, gagging, hacking cough that normally is not productive. When there is a little phlegm, it's clear.  The coughing ALWAYS starts after I eat, but sometimes it starts between meals and I almost NEVER cough when lying down at night to sleep. I've tried to determine if it's a food allergy but I cough no matter what I eat....fruit, veggies, candy, bread, meat....I can't find any difference.   A cough drop will stop the cough quickly.

I've been checked  by an ENT for cancer, TB, had chest x-ray...nothing.  What's my next step?  Could this be GERD ? I don't seem to have any other symptoms other than the feeling that there's always a grain of rice or something small in my throat that causes the tickle that starts the cough.   A preliminary allergy test didn't have any positive reactions.  

What's the most logical next specialty to visit?  I'm sooo tired of the cough and it really sounds nasty to others when I'm in public.

Thanks
Darlene