GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Diagnosed with non-ulcer dyspepsia...NOW WHAT?!

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

For years I have suffered from nausea, and an acidic taste in the mouth, and the feeling as if my throat was burned by acid.  I tested positive for H Pylori, took the medication TWICE, and have been on and now off Prevacid, and all the other PPI's.  I have good days and bad days.  Bad days are usually near-crippling nausea.  After seeing a specialist I was diagnosed with non-ulcer dyspepsia, since the endoscopy and barium tests both showed nothing!  According to the doctor it's all about watching what you eat, and beyond that you're on your own!  I am not overweight at all, don't smoke, and don't eat lots of junk.  I do drink, but not excessively.

I would like to hear from anyone else out there, to whom this sounds familiar in the least, what you do for it, and how you live with it.
Hi...what u eat, drink and deal with stress will affect how u feel....meds alone can not help.

Alcohol can be considered  responsible for many of ur ills....look at what u mean by not excessively......

And keep a journal to see if u have foods in ur diet that may cause ur issues to flare.

Modify diet and lifestyle in order to gain control......

H.Pylori can be a stubborn issue that can take several rounds of meds to clear up....and those meds can cause a flare up  too...ask about a  PH test to see if u have too much or too little acid after being on the meds for the H.Pylori.

Also if all symptoms continue after another round of meds ask to have ur Gall Bladder checked.

"selma"

Thanks Selma!

You're right.  I have tried the food diary and have come to no solid conclusion there.  According to the specialist endlessly hunting down the H Pyllori will not solve anything, which according to many different accounts I have read. in fact some insist that the treatment itself is so bombastic that recovery can take years, which may be another issue I'm experiencing.
The gall bladder was a consideration, but it's fine.
No worries...please keep me posted on ur progress : )

"selma"
hi

I have NUD since 4 yrs, which started with H pylori. these are the things which have helped me alot...

- When things are very bad,  i have a glass of  cold milk/vanilla milkshake with every meal(bland )Sucralfate 3-4 times a day1 hr before meals ( at least for a week) & PPIs.

- Activated charcoal with simethicone tablets right after every meal (works wonders).
- New drug in de market  ‘ cinitapride’. On it since 2 weeks. Seems to be working well. Its a prokinetic of a new kind
- For me things go bad when i have lot of fibrous food  or delay in having food( eat 4 times a day)
- I also tried a yoga called ‘Kapalbhati’ for short time( had spinal surgery so had to stop). Its helped to an extent. It seems to increase intestinal movement of food.

Hold on ... life will get better !!!!

April

I looked up Cinitapride.  Where do you live?  Because I see it'
s only available in Spain, Mexico and India.

India ... i'm so sorry it isn't available to you.

my symptoms were just like urs.. throw in some distention(i looked pregnant !!) & crazy pain 24/7 for 1.1/2 yrs

after i got treated with pylori , symptoms did not improve for 15-20 mths. done all possible tests including CT scan.

with doc advise, taken loads of medications with multiple permutation & combinations. at de end of it all i had no life no job & was depressed

finally stopped seeing doctors, took activated charcoal & simethicone tables with every meal 3 times a day & PPI.

I'm a foodie & i had rice / wheat bread with milk for all my meals and packed some where ever i went( & if i went) for a year's time.

slowly things got better... i do wake up with mild pain/nausea in de night once in 8-10 weeks time, my distention responds to every meal i have( good or bad)

i do indulge in food but de next meal i stick to cold milk with vanilla ice cream & rice( de only thing which settles de stomach).

dont hold back when you need to vomit, de sooner u do de better it is for u & ur stomach but do have some cold milk & antacid
to help ur stomach settle
and eat a little after an hr or so.......

do carry some biscuits & plain sponge cakes to fill in for late meals. have coffee or tea only after eating something. or stick to cold coffee

we just have to be very observant of what makes makes our stomach go bad & work around that till things get better.

do take a multivitamin to make up for de nutrition.

prep urself (with food good for ur stomach) before alcohol session & after it too

:)
I am 25 years old, and was just diagnosed with NUD. I had an endoscopy done and biopsys, all of which came back normal. I have been suffering from extreme nausea, burning gnawing stomach pain, and have been unable to eat right for about 4 months now. I have tried eliminating all types of foods that could irritate my sensitive stomach but regardless of what I eat I feel sick. Some days are tolerable but other days I just want to crawl into a little corner and cry. This sickness has changed my quality of life drastically. I'm trying to be optimistic but i see no end. No meds have helped, only thing that helps is milk but even that is not enough.
Any tips on how to cope and on what foods could help? Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

Please see the Health Pages for tips on foods that are safe with GI issues like GERD and acid reflux.....

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236