GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Do I have Acid Reflux or GERD after developing stomach flu?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

This is the first question i've ever posted on a med site so bare with me! I often read through other people's  experiences to find anything to relate to, but everyone's symptoms are different.. so here we go!

A couple weeks ago my sister got stomach flu (Gastroenteritis) She got it pretty bad, and was vomiting a lot with diarrhea.. this lasted about 2 solid days. I tried my very best to not catch it, disinfecting and keeping a distance but I was looking after to her so I caught it airborne. I wasn't as ill as she got, however I did vomit once and it seem to be pure acid. I was in bed ridden after that just very weak and dizzy headachy etc. I felt very nauseous for about a week even though i slowly began to start eating it always felt as though something was stuck in my throat, and I'd experience a pain in my chest (I have never been a suffer or heartburn)

Now, i must add I had a major surgery a few years ago, and since then i have slowly developed issues with my digestive system and have IBS. I am gluten free, and i don't eat diary. I have been this way for a year now.. I exercise 5-6 times a week (thoroughly) and in the past 6 months i've lost 30 lbs from healthy eating (and wish to lose more) . I am 5'8 189lbs and about to turn 24 yrs old.

i am not sure if my IBS is related to this, but I have a sensitive stomach.. i stay away from fats and carbs. The only main irritant i can think of is Coffee.. I used to drink coffee ALOT! since experiencing these symptoms of acid reflux I have cut back, but not fully given up coffee. I do not eat chocolate. mint, or spicy foods, and have even tried to increase reflux friendly foods into my diet.

it has been about 3 weeks now since the stomach flu, and i am feeling very up and down with the symptoms I am getting. I go from not feeling ANYTHING after i eat..or even drink coffee no feeling of something stuck in my throat, no burps.. to suddenly I will get that. It's bizarre. Now i am going through what I would normally think was a "cold and sore throat" just something that will pass, but I am concerned it's related to acid reflux.. I have a sore throat, horse voice and running nose and feel hot, and generally run down and tired.. like you would with a cold!

sorry to go on and on but i am very confused! I Do not have health insurance right now, my mum is a retired doctor.. but living back in England it's not like she is here to actually examine me but from what i've told her she says it's acid reflux and damage from the stomach flu... I am willing to pay to go see a doctor,  but in the mean time she sent me over omeprazole to take, and it's been the 2nd day.

BASICALLY has anyone gone through this? suddenly just developed after having a stomach flu? It's honestly something i thought would be gone in a matter of a week but my mum said it can last months and take a while for the esophagus to heal? but i don't know.. i am sure most people will say go see a Doctor which i am not appose to i just want to know if anyone relates to my story!

thanks everyone! :)
IF it makes you feel any better , I have seen this bug leave people with these "after the fact" symptoms for up to three months. So now for the rest of your questions..

First, I agree with your mum that it is Acid reflux that is the culprit. So I am sure you are wondering how that can give you all of the other symptoms you listed.  Here is how: first the stomach flu fired up your IBS and the additional acid made it worse. This will cause weakness as the body is not able to absorb the nutrients needed leaving you weak (don't worry it will pass). Next the changes in how your throat feels are due to the irritation but also to esophageal spasms that change the throat sensations when you eat (many of the patients had these spasms as well).  Next comes the sore throat and hoarse voice which are caused by the acid burn. I think the nasal congestion a "leftover" of the virus as that is the part the many of our patients say takes the longest to resolve. As far as the omeprazole goes that will help.  Be sure to take it on an empty stomach as its effectiveness is decreased by as much as 70% if taken with food. In fact if you take a couple of Tums about five minutes before taking the omeprazole you will get the maximum effect/benefit.  Remember omeprazole requires daily use for at least a week before you see real benefit from it so stay with it. If you have the ability to raise your headboard a few inches higher, it will help keep the stomach acid from leaking up into your throat at night thereby promoting faster healing.  

I hope this helps.

yes this definitely helps. last night i slept with more pillows and it did help and as far as taking the omeprazole..so far it's been about 2 hours AFTER i ate so i guess that's good but from now i will take it on an empty stomach with the tums.

thanks so much for the advice and replying to me!
How are you feeling at this point? I have never had any digestive or reflux issues but after a bout with GI Virus 3 weeks ago I am having reflux issues ever since. Nausea, belching, heartburn and gas :(
I came down with this nasty stomach virus on April 5 and 3 weeks later I still am not able to eat the same foods I use to eat.  If I eat something other than lean chicken, vegetables, bananas, applesauce, and toast, I get nausceous and its an awful feeling.  The best thing is to go to the doctor.  I went to the doctor on April 20 and had a blood and urine test and those test came back normal.  Now just awaiting to have an ultrasound on my stomach and gallblader (gallbladder).  I hope I never experience this again.
How are you feeling now?