GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Does G.E.R.D get worse over time? and is it possible to stabilize it?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum and was wondering.
I was diagnosed with G.E.R.D (Or as we call it in Australia, G.O.R.D) I have been on medication for over 5 yrs now (Pariet 20mg twice a day) My condition hasn't gotten better. I have tried diet and exercise, lowering stress levels, stopped smoking, cut back on caffeine, everything my specialist has told me to do I have. I tried to go off my medication for a few months but I am finding it really difficult and quite uncomfortable. Does this ever get better or is it a chronic disease? No one has ever fully explained this to me. I have a gastroscopy booked in for Wednesday and I'm afraid that there is gonna be something there... My stomach just doesn't feel right, I'm constantly bloated, burping and have heartburn all the time, even when I do take my medication. Is there any way at all to stabilized this or will I be taking meds forever??

Thanking you in advance.

Carlyhas.
Hi...stopping these meds, especially if u were on them for some time can be diff...u get what is called the rebound effect...u can feel worse.

U need to step off the meds slowly...taper down as with ne med.

AS I mentioned to another poster, u should know ur root cause of ur GERD/GORD to understand y u have continued issues.

The med u r on could be the wrong one for u...have u had a PH test to see if ur issue is too much acid?...u can feel the same way when u have too little acid...so to use meds to stop acid production would not be a help....ask about a PH test.

Good luck and do post an update after ur test.

"selma"
It can get worse. It got worse for me I have no a gastropareies. I am in pain alot. I have constant nausea and vomiting almost very day. It is very uncomfortable. My quality of life is not good. I am wanting to know does anyone now about a canadian drug called Domperidone also known as Motilum I think that is how it is spelled. I just took the medication one pill tonight. I went to see my doctor (medical dr who did not describe it and he told me that he knows nothing about this medication. He told me this evening that I need to go back to my gastroentrologist to ask me about the medication. I am currently taking Metropol for palpatations , I have a heart rate of 206 and I have am taking an anxiety medication called Buspar. I asked my doctor about if there were any  contradindications with these two medications his response was "I don't know" for me to refer back to my other doctor. So, guess what??? my gastroenterologist told me that I had to ask my other doctor. I am so upset about this. I hope that I don't have to sue anyone for any malpratice. What is a girl to do? If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts or comments please feel free to post me a message. I am so looking forward to hearing from you. I am so stressed an aggravated about this.
Hey Selma,

Thanks for that. I have my gastroscopy in 2 days so as soon as I know anything I'll kep you posted.

I pray all went well and u r feeling well after ur procedure.

I look forward to an update

"selma"
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
Drmack commented on Conversion table othe...
mkh9 Too hot again today, yuck. Comment
Aug 26
Paxiled commented on Foods For Weight Loss...
Aug 26