GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Does anyone have questions about the TIF procedure?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

I just had the TIF procedure preformed 2 weeks ago in Texas.  I have had GERD for 30 years (since birth).  I had damage throughout my esophagus, on my vocal cords, and in my mouth.  These last two weeks are the first time I have ever known what it is like to be normal.  I hope as I am slowly adding foods back into my diet (you have a post op diet to protect the new "valve") that my results remain this wonderful.  If anyone have any questions about the procedure or post op, let me know.  I want everyone who suffers to feel as good as I do now.
Thanks again for offering to share ur experience with this procedure : )

"selma"
I JUST HAD THE PROCEDURE 2 DAYS AGO , AM FEELING SOME OCCASIONAL GERD MAYBE! I HAVE A VERY SORE THROAT AND PAIN IN MY LEFT SHOULDER, I PRAY THIS PROCEDURE WORKS. ANY FEED BACK WOULD BE GREATLY WELCOME
Hi...I see u just had a TIF...I have not had this, but I am sure they pumped u with gas to inflate the inside to make doing this procedure easier...the shoulder pain could be the result of that gas.

The anesthesia can cause a gerd flare up but as ur body eliminates all the meds and drugs used during the procedure u  should begin to feel better.

Good luck
"selma"
A diagnois of Barrette's mucosa was on my pathology report that I received back in Sept.of 2010.I was told it was pre-cancerous, to just take my my pill (protonix) every day then come back in a year and they will go back down for a re-check. Since then I saw a Doctor that does this TIF procedure. He seem to think this procedure would help me in the long run. I also have a hiatus hernia that he said he could repair. He would have to make 3 small incisions also. Most people have not even heard of this, even my family doctor. I received papers on the recovery time and what you can and cannot eat after the surgery. Three months before you can eat like normal. Can you tell me if there has been any causes where this didn't work and what bad can happen if it doesn't take? I would really appreciate any intake you may have on this.
Warmly, Marsha Bailey
Warmly, Marsha Bailey
is this like a nissen surgury where they tie some of your stomach around your esophagas to tighten it up? My daugter had to have this when she was 6 months old because she could not hold down any food. she is perfectly normal now and i am so greatful. There is nothing scarier than the thought of your child starving to death. she was nothing but bones and i could not even sleep a wink because i was such a nervous wreck. if it is anything like that surgery then i will tell you that it is worth it. My beautiful baby girl is 4 yrs old and the cutest thing you will ever see and she loves pizza.lol
Warmly, Marsha
I just had this tif procedure done 1 month ago.....the diet is really hard...I feel like I am starving :) but anyway so far I think I am doing pretty well with the exception of burping alot. Just wondering if you had this happen as well and if it will get better with time.
What were you consuming during the month after your diet, baby food, puree?
How long were you on that sort of controlled intake? I am considering the TIF procedure and want to be fully informed before making a decision. Thanks.
I am scheduled for a TIF procedure in 1 month. How long was it before you felt "normal". I have a fear of choking and am afraid this will feel like a constant lump in the throat. Any tips you can offer would be appriciated.
As this post is 2 months old I'm sure you've already had the surgery, but I thought I offer my support...

I suffered from bad heartburn for about a year before I went to a Gastro doctor to have my esophagus checked. I was diagnosed with Barrett's.

I had the procedure done in Oct. 2011. It went as follows:
After the surgery you'll have terrible gas pain. Your valve will be swollen so you won't be able to burp. This part was awful!
Night after surgery sucked. Not so much from the pain, but from the uncomfortable hospital bed.
Days 2-4 I had a lot of sharp shoulder pain. I suspect it was from not being able to burp and the pressure was hitting a nerve which shot up to my jaw. This worried me a lot, but did go away after a couple days. The first big burp was AMAZING!!!
Days 5-14 weren't too bad. The diet for me wasn't hard. I usually drink a lot of fruit & veggie smoothies so I was somewhat conditioned to drinking my food.
Day 15: Had some rice which was AWESOME!
Weeks 3-6 Started eating soft foods.

There were times in the beginning when I regretted having it done. There is some discomfort for about 2 weeks. Be a trooper. It will pass.

It's been 5 months now & I've started getting a little bit of reflux in my throat. I haven't had bad heartburn again yet. Hopefully that won't return. I still need to take some antacids occasionally.

Hope this helps anyone considering the procedure. I'm sure you want to know if I'm glad I did it... Yes. Heartburn *****! Even if it only helps a little that's good enough for me! Also, as a huge plus, I got scoped again and the doctor found only small evidence of Barrett's remaining. Very cool!
I am considering this treatment and appear to have the same medical history as you.  Happy to hear it has helped.  Any updates?
I am booked for the Manometry and pH procedure at the end of this month.
I have been so freaked out with all the symptoms I've been getting.
I've become asmatic because of the Gerd build up,  and it seems to be affecting my lungs now.  I have a burning sensation between my ribcage as well as on both sides of my back...ie:  the back of my lungs.
I don't know what to make of this.  I am really scared.
Anyway I've been for both scopes colonoscopy and gastrocopy,  and the
outcome was Reflux according to my surgeon.
So now it seems very likely that I'll be going for the same operation.

I have done alot of research on Reflux and came across a product in the Health store called "The Other Option -  Siberian Pine Nut Oil"
Costs R310.00 a bottle and is absolutely amazing.  
A teaspoon a day is apparently all you need to heal:
ACID REFLUX
BURNING STOMACH
BARRET'S OESOPHAGUS
BLOATING AND GAS
COLITIS
CONSTIPATION
GASTRITIS
GERD / GORD
H. PYLORI
HEARTBURN
IBS / SPASTIC COLON
LOWERS CHOLESTROL (Total Control)
DIABETES
HYPERTENTION
WEIGHT LOSS
IMMUNITY
OSTEOPOROSIS
SKIN

I bought this oil yesterday at the Health shop and immediatley took a teaspoon to relieve the burning in my ribcage and lungs.
It subsided the reflux too......"I KNOW IT WORKS"

Whoever is out there suffering as I am.....You have nothing to lose,  only gain from relief of acidity, burning and lots of stressing.

I had the surgery yesterday. The pain pills made me vomit, and they don't want you to vomit, so I'm just taking ibuprofen. I feel terrible. Lots of pain in chest and shoulder. The worst thing is when I swallow, even water, the pain when it hits my chest buckles me over and I have to take deep breaths. How long before your chest pain went away? Did you take pain pills?