GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Does this sound like acid reflux/GERD?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Does this sound like acid reflux/GERD?

about a week and a half ago I started the keto diet. I have PCOS and was told from many sources that this diet can really help with losing weight fast/consistently and helping to lessen the PCOS symptoms. During my enthusiasm to 'start a new life' I totally forgot my lack of gallbladder. I started getting horrible indigestion from the first day of the diet, and it kept getting increasingly worse. I attested this to part of the 'keto-flu' and the symptoms you're supposed to see from starting the diet for the first time.

As my indigestion got worse however, I did more research and found most people claim that their indigestion got better from the diet. I was confused, and then remembered my gallbladder and researched people doing keto without gallbladders. Some say they did the diet with no issues whatsoever, some say they couldn't do it period because none of the fat was processing. I quickly stopped the diet (which probably didn't help) and tried to ease back into my normal eating habits. The indigestion kept getting worse.

My symptoms were as follows:
-Feeling of lump stuck in throat, constant swallowing
-Pressure in bottom of throat/chest like something was stuck and trying to push up against my esophagus/wind pipe
-shortness of breath
-Nausea
-Diarrhea

I went to see a GP (for the first time since I'm on medicaid and am pretty much forced to go to the most unreliable dr.'s office in town, and they rotate dr's so I never know who I'm going to see) I told her my symptoms and about the diet and she actually rolled her eyes at me and laughed and said something about "fad diets". I told her I thought it felt like acid reflux (I probably shouldn't have said anything). She didn't even glance down my throat, and just gave me a prescription of Protonix, took some blood work and sent me on my way.

I've been taking the protonix for about 4 days now. I also have taken tums, gaviscon, and peptobismol to try and find SOME relief. The symptoms are more or less constant. I haven't been eating much of anything, and when I do eat it's 'reflux-safe' things. Low-fat yogurt with dried fruit (no citrus). Drinking apple juice and water and oatmeal and dry sandwiches. In small portions, always making sure to chew thoroughly.

I have the pain even when I am not eating, and it gets better/worse randomly throughout the day (worse at night, but only sometimes when I'm laying down?... sometimes I actually feel better laying down). I don't have the lump as much in my throat anymore, but I am now having burning cramps randomly in my stomach, and I still have (what is the worst to me) that pressure in the bottom of my throat/chest, that pushes against my chest/esophagus or something.. I can't really tell what's going on.

The uncomfortableness and pain has been going on for almost 2 weeks and I am getting fed up. It is hard to get an appointment with a dr because of my medicaid, and my next appointment isn't until the 27th. I want to see a GI but I probably won't be able to without a referral from my GP. I just want some relief and I'm not sure if acid reflux can feel this bad or if it might be something else.

Just to note, I do also have anxiety issues and have had panic attacks in the past. I did have indigestion during the panic attacks, but nothing like this, and nowhere near this long. I sometimes have to take a xanax at night just to be able to sleep through the uncomfortableness and pain. Does this sound like GERD to anyone, or something different?
I'm sorry you are going through this and that the doctor was such a b*tch.  

My boyfriend gets the best relief from Metamucil, would you believe!  He takes the capsule form with a class of water.  Every time he complains about heartburn I ask if he took his Metamucil.  He always runs and takes it and says it fixes the problem.  He doesn't get it at all when he takes it every day.  I also like probiotics.  I have found certain whole food supplements that also include probiotics and digestive enzymes.  That might be the way to go.  But first try the Metamucil.  It will control any cholesterol problem and make things move and clothes fit better.  
I know nothing about the keto diet, but have some experience with problems getting food down the esophagus.  A couple of things jumped out at me.  If you are having trouble getting food down, dry sandwiches and certainly dried fruit, unless taken with a lot of water would cause the symptoms.  Metamucil, as I understand, helps the intestinal track, not the esophagus.  I'd start drinking a lot of water and avoid dried foods and whole wheat bread.