GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Drinking wine
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Drinking wine

I have short Barrett's esophagus, which is being treated with Lansopral (30 mg, twice daily).  I also receive endoscope exams every two years.    

My question is about drinking red wine.  My wife and all my friends drink, and I really like red wine.  I'm a scientist and in perusing various medical research I've encountered meta-analyses indicating that wine drinkers have lower rates of esophageal cancer than the general population.

I realize that doctors generally recommend avoiding ethanol when you have Barrett's esophagus, but I am wondering whether this also applies to red wine in moderation.  Has any work been done on this?  Many doctors recommend 1-2 glasses of red wine a day for cardio health.

Some further background: I am a 50-year-old male who works out almost every day.  I also take enterically coated aspirin (81 mg) daily as I've heard this is a good anti-cancer compound, and of course it's wise to reduce cardio risks when you work out vigorously.

Thank you,

William1001