GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
EGD; ulcers & hiatal hernia; biopsy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

EGD; ulcers & hiatal hernia; biopsy

I had an EGD yesterday and all they said after was that there was some "abnormal tissue" and they took a sample for biopsy.  I was too groggy to ask a lot of questions.  Is this fairly normal (to find abnormal tissue and need for biopsy)?

I am a 37 y/o female and was diagnosed with ulcers and hiatal hernia at age 14.  I've had much stress and abuse in my lifetime.  Maybe these conditions have changed somewhat?  I also have gastritis and IBS.
Where was the abnormal tissue present?
They didn't even tell me.  I asked, but I was also quite drowsy from the Demerol.  I didn't really think that they were very professional ...they'd never adequately answer my questions, but would insist on making an appointment to go over results of the test (and I'm sure that's not so odd)  ...but, they would not even review my test results till moments before they came to share them with me???  I'd like to have at least knows WHERE that tissue sample was taken from!!  They could've at least told me that, right?

I've an appointment today with a different doc ...because I filled out "consent to release" forms to have those results faxed to another doc I think I can trust more/better.  He will tell the the results ....this is my hubby's doc and I've never been to him for myself.  But I guess I have to.  I just don't trust the other doc.  I don't see them often till recently, and I just had hoped they'd be more compassionate and caring.

Not only do I have these issues (ulcers and hiatal hernia - sp??)  ...but I initially went in because I was bleeding rectally (along with mucus and some pain and increase in IBS symptoms).  I had been sexually assaulted and did not want to be put through a million tests to be told that yes, my colon is fine, and now they the mucus and bleeding are cleared up, we will do other tests, like EGD and CT scans ...to see what the bleeding is from.  (It was bright red.)  Clearly, it was not from the colon, and was due to the assault ...and too, I missed my monthly and thought I might be preg.  (I'm not!  Whew!)

I'm glad we did the EGD, but I just wished they'd been more professional and caring in how they did things.

All that to say... (sorry for the book!)  ...I do not know exactly where the tissue samples are from, but am supposing they saw the ulcers and hernia.  (I was diagnosed with those at age 14, came from extreme abuse in my home... those things continue till this day - abuse - and I'm sure there are still ulcers and hernia there... I have trouble every time I lay down or eat certain things.)

Thank you SO MUCH for stopping by my post!  I hope to get some answers today!
It is very difficult to comment without knowing from which part of the GIT the tissue was taken.
Since you have hiatal hernia, there are chances that you have GERD. Long term GERD results in a condition called Barrett's esophagus which is an abnormal tissue and biopsy should be done for confirmation and follow up.
And - bleeding is not a feature of IBS.
Since it is bright red, the source is lower down.
A related discussion, healt was started.