GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Epidural kenalog injection and acid reflux

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

I take Nexium once or twice a day and it controls my symptoms close to 100% (knock on wood). The only times I've had trouble in the last few years are (a) when I took a medicine that relaxed my esophageal sphincter/hiatal hernia and (b) when I had trouble swallowing pills and couldn't take the Prevacid I was then taking.

Three days ago, I got a cervical epidural injection of kenalog. I felt fine. The next day, I had some fairly spicy food (not unusual for me -- I eat spicy food all the time and never have problems) and I woke up the *next* day with my mouth and esophagus burning. I'm still suffering from the burning mouth, and I can taste the acid.  My neurosurgeon thinks that this was unequivocally caused by the kenalog injection (though the nurse at the GI place rightly thinks that the spicy food didn't help). Before the procedure, he'd told me there was approximately a 2% risk.

Is anyone familiar with how an epidural cortisone injection can catalyze acid reflux and for how long? The healing effects of the cortisone are supposed to last for months. Can I expect the reflux to last for months also? My mouth really hurts and my esophagus isn't in the best shape. Thanks!
Steroids worsen acid peptic disease only if taken along with NSAIDs.
Moreover epidural injection of kenalog does not worsen acid reflux.
You can continue with Nexium twice daily for relief.