GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Excessive burping, regurgitating food/drink. Please help me! Thank you....

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Excessive burping, regurgitating food/drink. Please help me! Thank you.

Hi everyone. I've had this problem for a while but it's only recently gotten worse (last August).

Most days, I burp all day and everyday. Some days are worse than others. Most times now I feel like the food/drink I recently ate is coming back up, but only goes as far as the back of my throat. It just feels like vomit though and I'm petrified of throwing up. :( I even get a vomit taste in my mouth sometimes when I try to force a burp that just won't come up.. I've never vomited from it though, thank God. I feel nauseous most days but not to the point where I'm put off food or anything. I can eat just fine. This is really depressing me because it affects me nearly every day and all day. I just want to live normally again like I was years ago. :( To be honest, this whole problem started several years ago but it hasn't been bad at all until August last year. I'm confused and scared it's developed into esophageal/stomach cancer...

I've been to the doctors several times over this issue and they suspected GERD. However, I've taken 40mg of Omeprazole daily now for the last 4 weeks and they haven't helped. Well, they did on the first week and I felt almost perfect but then literally a week after it was back with revenge. I went back to the doctors yesterday and they told me to wait another month to see if they work, and if they don't they're going to send me in for an endoscopy which I'm fine to have, if it means finding out what this annoying issue is.

I've been tested for H.Pylori from blood tests but came back normal, so it isn't that, although I used to get a burning sensation in my stomach or sternum and a lot of pressure in my chest area. I think the tablets have cleared that up.

Thing is, I RARELY get heartburn... And it doesn't feel acidic when that vomit feeling in my throat comes up. Only every now and again that I get an acidic feeling. Like, once every month or so..

I don't really get any other symptom besides feeling nauseous and this feeling of vomit/food or whatever it is come up.. Sometimes I get the odd occasional stomach pain but it doesn't last long.

My doctor doesn't think much of it because I'm young (I'm only 18!). I'm sick and tired of this problem and it's driving me insane.... I just want to feel normal again. :( Does anyone know what this might be?

Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

Did ur Dr give u a list of foods to avoid and tips for modifying ur lifestyle?

With these symptoms u can not just take meds and expect to feel better....it takes eating healthy and exercise...avoiding those things that can trigger a flare...certain foods and bevs, smoking...stress, weight gain or loss can also trigger a flare.

Did u have an endoscopy or a PH test?

Not everyone with GERD has heartburn....there is one type that is known as Silent reflux...or Laryngopharyngeal Reflux - symptoms are :

Continual throat clearing
Chronic throat irritation
Chronic cough
Hoarseness
Excessive phlegm the throat
Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
Constant sensation of something in the throat
Swallowed food comes back up
Post nasal drainage
Weak voice
Cracking voice
Blockage of the breathing passage
Spasm of the larynx (voice box)
Wheezing

Heartburn may or may not be present.
You mentioned you are fine to have an Endoscopy, good for you, I suggest you have it done as it will give visual clues as to the cause of your discomfort, and it is the 'gold standard' procedure.  It might open other boxes, meaning you might have to have additional tests, but it will zero in on possible problems.  That will save you discomfort time, money for drugs and nostrums.
Keep us informed.
I have had reflux for almost 22 years.  I rarely have had heartburn--I got pain in my chest that went clear through to my back, all the way up to my neck and sometimes it even made my teeth hurt.  I rarely get pain now, but I sometimes have trouble with food getting stuck, which is really painful!!!!  I have had to have my esophagus dilated 4 times, 3 times I have developed shazky's rings.

The medication will only take away the burning and maybe the feeling of something being caught in your throat---you will continue to have the food from your stomach relux back up, and the burping and such, even while on medication.  I can't even lean over to make my bed without feeling stuff come up if I have eaten or drunk anything recently.

I have a hiatal hernia, I also have a condition called eosinophilic esophagitis---doc thinks it is secondary to having reflux for so long---and I fought taking the meds.

I am hoping to have surgery to stop my reflux.  My youngest daughter was born with a hiatal hernia and had surgery to repair it when she was not quite 10 months old.

I would definitely have a scope done.

I have exactly the same problem for the last 4-5 years... seems like this is the first thing online I have found that perfectly describes the symptoms I am experiencing.

Please let me know your treatment went and any other advice.

Cheers
This happened to me exactly about 3 years ago, when I turned 25. Turned out to be all food allergies and sensitivities. I cut dairy, meat, gluten, tomatoes, pineapples, coconut and most packaged food and it's completely cured me.

Get tested for food allergies, but also start eliminating things from your diet to see if it helps. Good luck, love.

M
Wow this is really good to know because i have been suffering with the same thing.. I never thought ot could be food allergies but it does make perfect sense, because I have noticed certain foods I cant eat anymore.. But, I asked my doctors before to give me a test to check for food allergies, and they informed me that I dont have allergies, so please tell me the name of the test that check for food allergies, I just want to get to the bottom of this, I donot like feeling this way, Thank You
Hi all, I'm a 32 y.old male. From mid 2003-mid 2006 I had a constant feeling of wanting to burp but could not without vomiting. Pressure would build in my neck but if I were to go through the burping motion, I would vomit. The pressure in the neck would get so great that I would try swallowing air to make myself bloated but the body would still react with a wet burp. Absolute worst feeling in the world! Some people may say- can't burp, what's the big deal? It's the pressure build up in the osophagus that becomes so unbearable! Furthermore medical professionals were next to useless on the matter. I saw the best gastroenterologists in my country of Australia. Endless Endoscopy, barium swallow, ph monitoring was done. I was put on nexium and oral puffers but neither worked. My local gastroenterologists ended up sending me to a private mental clinic saying it was in my head! The shrink there took 36 hours to send me back to the gastroenterologist with a clean bill of mental health. So then we had a situation where no one in the medical profession had ANY idea what was going on with me. I flew to the other side of the country to see the ' best gastroenterologist in the southern hemisphere' ( I was fortunate that my general medical practitioner wasinvolved with the Australian medical association and incredibly well connected). He was a professor and said that he had seen my condition in a handful of patients but they were all over the age of 50. He said injecting Botox-yes Botox into the upper sphincter of the oesophagus was being trialled with mixed results but due to my young age he wasn't prepared to try it! Well what was the point of telling me??? Anyhow after yet another endoscopy, he said I had a smaller oesophagus than normal and that my local doctors should put a tapering device down to stretch my oesophagus. When I got home, my local doctors refused to do it!

To cut a very long story short, I found a gastroenterologist in Washington, D.C. USA  on the internet who said he had also seen my condition in a few people and said he had some success administering the ADHD drug dex amphetamine in small, very safe doses. Just 2x5mg tablets a day.  I set out to find a doctor who would give me a script for dex amphetamine. In Australia however, the only way a medical practitioner can give a patient dexamphetamine is if they have ADHD. So let's just say I now also have ADHD.

Dex 2x5mg per day one mid morning, 1 mid arvo fixed this debilitating, rare and much unknown &unnamed condition in less than two weeks. I remember where I was standing when after 3 years of not being able to burp and having a massive pressure in the vercinity of my upper oesophageal sphincter, I heard a beautiful gurgling sound and then I burped! That for me was like winning $100 million in the lottery. I've gone through life since like a bulldozer- nothing can get in my way.

I hope this can help others suffering with the condition or medical professionals interested in the symptoms. Anyone feel free to chat about it with me. ***@****
I'd love to know the name of your doctor in DC.  I'm having similar problems and live in the DC area.  Would you mind sharing?
I have issues with my food coming back up to my mouth for over 22 years. I am tired of seen doctors. I have gotten two endoscopies, and so many other tests and medicines that I do not want to have or take any more. After my last endoscopy, the doctor suggested to remove my gallbladder because it is not working correctly. For all the reading I have done this can not be the cause of my problem. I vomit often and my teeth have taking a terrible hit. I have thought that in the possibility that it is bulimia, but I have never put anything in my throat to throw up, foods and drinks just come back up. I am 5'3 and weight 118 pounds. I feel tired some mornings, but not often. Otherwise, I am a very healthy and active 42 years old woman. If anyone has any advice that could help me with this issues, I will be so happy and thankful.

Thank you so very much for any help or advice you all could bring,
i live in the D.C. Area too and have the same problems as well.  If you get the docs name please share.
Did u ever get name of doc in D.C.  I live there too and need to see him for same reason.
who is the doc name the doc please.
i also hv the same condition
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
Conjugated linoleic acid-induced to...
7 hrs ago by gymdandee
Remedies for Arthritis Pain
10 hrs ago by gymdandee
minstrel59 commented on What Everyone Should ...