GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Food advice for GERD and Dyphagia?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Food advice for GERD and Dyphagia?

I have been having reflux and difficulty swallowing for the past few months, esophageal spasms and chest pain. Last month I had an endoscopy done and everything look fine except it was constricted so they did a dialation. This didn't really help. I was taking Prilosec 2x a day now I am taking 60mg of Dexilant. The Dexilant is a minor improvement but not sure it's worth the cost. My GI thinks I might have a motility disorder. I can't see the specialist for about a month. In the mean time, my swallowing issue continues to get worse. I constantly feel like stuff is stuck in my throat. A few days after Christmas I was eating almonds (my favorite snack) and was coughing them up all day and felt like they are caught in my upper throat are too. Same thing happened the next day with oatmeal. Last night I almost gagged/ choked on small bits of apple I way trying to swallow. It feels like my upper swallowing mechanism is not working properly as well as my low esophageal issues. I am thinking my problem is getting worse. I am determined to work towards a very low acid diet. I already eat really healthy, but lettuce and greens and many other foods are giving me problems. Small hard particles are causing upper problems and slighlt larger particles are a problem in the chest area of my esophagus. Smoothies and really cold foods go down and travel back up (feels really wierd). Has anyone delt with this and can you give me some food advice that is good for GERD but easy to swallow. I really don't want to do a liquid diet.

Hi...so u haven't had a swallow study done yet...that will most likely be what the dr does...I would try to eat softer foods like scrambled eggs, soups...etc... until u see the Dr to avoid choking.....elevate the head of ur bed, all the tips they give for GERD related issues...diet and lifestyle can only help.

See the Health Pages for more info on foods to avoid and foods that r safe and lifestyle tips that can help.....http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236
Thanks! On your suggestion and the advice of my doctor, I am now exploring the world of creative smoothies and pureed soup. I have also moved to a very low acid diet (just to challenge myself more on the narrow food selection). I am waiting to have the swallow and several other tests done in a few weeks. While I feel rather unsatisfied, the upside is I have lost a few holiday pounds and I am not hacking up small bits of food all day.

I know the diet does not sound appetizing, but once u get a dx and treatment u may be able to expand what u eat...

Good luck with ur tests

"selma"
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
flipper336 "Life should be great rathe... Comment
Feb 10
Paxiled commented on GMO CORN
Feb 10
drifter0213 commented on Feels like life is ov...
Feb 09