GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Foul taste in mouth for weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Foul taste in mouth for weeks

I have a foul rancid taste in my mouth for several weeks now and it is having a serious impact on my quality of life. I have been to the dentist, my regular doctor an ENT and no one seems to have any answers for me. I finished a cycle of Cipro antibiotic because they said I had a sinus infection even though I had no symptoms. I have no symptoms of Acid Reflux but I'm starting to think this is coming from my stomach. about 2 months ago I had an issue with constant heartburn brought on by everything including drinking water. After a week of torture I went to the doctor. She gave me Nexium which I took for 7 days and stopped. The heartburn was gone. I am desperate to find out what is wrong with me. I have no health insurance and have already spent a small fortune on trying to get to the root of this problem. I no longer have heartburn or indigestion but I have eliminated all other ideas of what It could be. Can I have GERD with the only symptom being this constant nasty foul taste in my mouth? It seems to be mild when I wake up. When I get up and start moving around it slowly gets worse and after I eat something forget it, the rest of the day is miserable. I sit around and cry a lot and constantly gargle with Salt water. I'm very desperate to get rid of this foul taste. Drinks taste gross, a sip of coffee tastes like acid. All food tastes like ****. I'm falling into a very deep depression over this because nothing I try seems to work. PLEASE HELP ME.
I think your body is telling you it is in an acidic state.  Go to health food store for Probiotics and pH test strips...anything less than 7.3 means your whole body is acidic.  Wheat Grass is good.  (All this for about $20.00) Check web for alkalizing foods and top 10 foods that detox.  Know about all the chemicals you are putting in your body.  Stop breads (have mycotoxins, sodium benzoate, stop lunch meats, processed foods.  
Try changing your diet. You could have a food allergy or an intolerance. also mint will also help with upsets in the stomach or bad breath. Try taking things like onions, gluetin, garlic out of your diet. One at a time. if something changes keepdoing it. Also make sure you are getting enough soluable fiber. Hope it helps
A sinus infection very definitely changes the sense of taste.  I'm wondering if your sinus cavities are still draining.  It could be GERD.  You don't need a prescription to take Omeprozel (SP) and it is relatively inexpensive, and usually quite effective.  I don't think GERD often causes food to taste strangely, but I sure could be wrong, I'm not a health professional.  Another thought, have you had any head injuries lately?  Also, people who undergo long surgeries commonly complain that their sense of taste has changed.  Your brain is where the perception of taste originates, and an injury to the brain, or if you have been put out for an operation, can drastically change how things taste.  I have experienced this first hand, most recently this last Spring when I had an operation lasting about 4 hours.  For a month, most food tasted terrible.  I'm also a volunteer in a critical care cardiac wing, and many if not not most patients who have had open heart surgery struggle with the taste of their food.

What you have isn't at all rare, and can come from many causes.  Thinking back, did the antibiotic help, or the antacid?  What else has been going on in your life?
Best wishes.  Keep us informed.  
I'm not sure what my issue is but for two days I've been following an alkaline diet. Nothing I have done has worked until I decided to take some old expired alkaseltzer I had on hand. I noticed a difference right away. I went to the store and got a big box and drank one about every 4 hours yesterday and definitely felt relief from it. I then read on to get your body back to an alkaline state drink a tall glass of water with a teaspoon of bicarbinate soda in it. several times a day. I've drank 3 glasses and the horrible taste in my mouth is finally tolerable. Its not gone, but I can deal with this. I'm also taking OTC previcid, but I've been taking 2 pills at night and 2 in the morning. (the doctor told me its ok to take 2 because its the same as getting the prescription and I have no insurance so that was cost effective. I'm terrified to eat, I eat a little bit. I know its not good to do a bunch of things at once but after dealing with this for weeks on end the relief is more important to me right now. I am also taking milk thistle and acidophilous. Once this is gone I will know I'm leaning more to my body is acidic because of what the bakinsoda and alkaseltzer has done for me. Honey and ACV did not seem to work for.
Hi have been reading your experience of foul taste in your mouth.  I have been following what you did to get rid of the taste, I also have GERD, for the last two days ie alkaseltzer in the morning and last thing at night, pantoprazole (PPI) 40mg in morning, acidophilous x 2 and milk thistle and also a couple of tablespoons of aloe vera.  I just wondered how long it took for your taste to go or be tolerable, I know it is about 3 years since you posted but wondered if you would reply to me please I would be most grateful.  I am very low and depressed because of this taste and do not enjoy food or drink any more and have been searching the internet for people who have experienced the same thing and how they have dealt with it and you are the closest to how I am.  Many thanks Neil
Hi there,

Have you been to an ENT yet?

GERD has to be severe before it reaches the throat/mouth and if you experience this through out the day and if you can not identify certain foods that aggravates this for you, then I would suggest that you consult an ENT.

From my experience:  I have been diagnosed with Chricopharengeal muscle dysfunction and have been suffering from this for about 4 years now.  I always have a bad taste in my mouth and I've been told that it is the lactic acid from the Chrico muscle.  It took me almost 4 years to get to a proper diagnoses.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Hi, Yes went to ENT in December. Do you know if they check the chricopharyngeal muscle during the scope up your nose and down your throat?   I went because of the bleeding and all they found were three small ruptured vessels which have since healed.

How are you being treated for your condition?

Thank you
Yip, that horrible pipe-through-the-nose test!  During the scope the ENT said I had muscle thickening and spasms and I had a dilatation of the oesophagus during Aug. 2012 and 20ml of botillium toxin but in only lasted 2 months and I have to go again on Monday.  

The treatment for this condition is Botillium and eventually they can do a myotomy but I am not opting for surgery at this stage.

I am also very depressed about it and it is horrible to live like this, but I try to stay positive.
I was diagnosed with Barrets Oesophagus in 2006 and by then I only had symptoms of chest pains (long cardiac history also) but my throat issues started beginning 2009 and I had extensive tests:  i.e. 24hr PH studies, 24hr Impedance studies, Manomatry x2 (also horrible) and some doctor even told me I am Bulimic! That was all done in South Africa.

Eventually we immigrated to Australia during 2011 and I had a Nissen Funcoplication (anti-reflux surgery) in Feb. 2012 and my throat did not improve and went to see an ENT in April 2012 who diagnosed it.

The road to a diagnoses and recovery is long and hard.
Sounds like youve been throught alot and are still going through with things after all this time. At least you have had a diagnosis and are able to move on so that is good.  I am seeing my GP again this afternoon to see what else can be done.  I dont see an end to this at the moment.  My poor wife has been thoroughly searching on the internet for answers and she speaks to doctors at the hospital where she works but noone is coming up with the answers.  Ive been told by my Gastroenterologist that surgery would not be considered as my reflux is only minor so this makes me wonder if my vile taste in mouth is from something else other than GERD.
I can almost say that it is definitely not GERD that is the cause of your ENT symptoms.  I only had the Nissen fundo due to the long segment of Barrets and I am still in my 30's.

Have you had an Endoscopy to rule out Zenker's Diverticulum?  that can explain ENT symptoms and even a Laryngoscopy (ENT does that) can help.

Just know that I am here for you and let me know what GP says, okay and maybe ask for referral to ENT.