Fundoplication in Child
sI have a 7 yr old son who for the past 2 years has been treated for GERD and an esophageal stricture.  He has a hiatel hernia and has had numerous endoscopies with dilations over the past 2 years.  He is being treated with prevacid and a flovent inhaler that he swallows instead of inhaling for the inflamation of his esophagus. It is not 100% GERD that is causing the stricture to continue to close but it is part of it.  We just saw a pediatric surgeon who had scheduled my son for a fundoplication to repair the hernia. I am wondering if anyone else has had a child that has had the surgery and how they did.  I am aware that after surgery he can have no more carbonated drinks since burping will not be possible anymore.  I didn't get to ask the doctor about throwing up, it is something else he won't be able to do.  If anyone has any stories good or bad, please let me know what your experiences have been.

Thanks.
Hi...I would try and put this off as long as possible..it restricts vomiting as well, not that I like to vomit...but those that had it and feel sick can not and therefore can not feel better by that release.

U said the hernia is not the only thing causing this issue.What do u feel the other factor is?

I did not have this surgery, BUT so many that did do not seem better, but worse off.

Please get a second opinion

"selma"