GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
GERD, Prilosec, and Shortness Of Breath
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

GERD, Prilosec, and Shortness Of Breath

I have read conflicting information on whether GERD can actually cause shortness of breath. I'm 38, male, smoker, placed on Prilosec last week by my GP. Since I began taking the Prilosec (20mgs per day), I've had several episodes of disturbing shortness of breath...they happen at different times of the day and aren't associated with any physical exertion. I wasn't actually choking or gasping for air, but my chest definitely tightened and every breath felt very shallow. EKG, ECG, and stress test in April 2008 were negative for cardiac issues. I'm wondering if GERD could be causing this or even if Prilosec might be to blame.