GERD Cough?
GERD Concern:  I have had episodes of GERD for the past 20 years and initially had a hard time getting it diagnosed because my symptoms were an asthma type cough and breathlessness and throat pain. I also seemed to have an allergic response  (hives on the palms of my hands which may have been related as no other cause could be found for this.) Are these a rare symptoms of GERD?  After a year or so, the only symptoms which remains is the throat pain and now I have developed a similar cough when eating (most of the time).  I have to drink lots of liquids with my meals. Is this GERD only or something else?  I was also treated for H. Pylori a year or so after diagnosis, and was tested negative for it last week.  Should I assume that this is just GERD or do you recommend that I seek more tests?
LPRD (laryngopharyngeal reflux disease) can have cough as a symptom, symptoms like asthma, and throat pain.  (See private message for more info.)

You definitely should be seen and have diagnostic testing by an ear, nose and throat specialist or a GI doctor to hopefully discover what you have regarding a number of your symptoms and how you should treat it.  And you might want to see an allergist doctor about those hives- I don't know what that is.  Since you only mention hands, I wonder if you are using a soap or lotion you are allergic to.
Many patients are miss diagnosed with asthma when all they really have is acid reflux.  You respiratory symptoms are common gerd symptoms.  Propper treatment for GERD should help control those symptoms.  If you primary care provider can't get that under control then you should see a gastrointerologist.  An EDG scope may be necessary and possibly a pH probe or impedance study (looks for both acidic and non-acidic reflux while a pH probe only looks for acidic reflux).

I would assume that the hives is a totally unrelated issue and needs separate evaluation probably by an allergist to identify the specific allergen.  SurgiMenopause had a good idea about it being caused by a soap or lotion.  Really, anything with a fragrance that your hands come in contact could be the cause.

You probably should implement GERD life style changes to help control symptoms.

Please lets us know how you are doing.

God bless.
I saw my doctor today and he said that it most likely GERD.  I'll follow up with a gastrointerologist.  Thank you for your reply!
Thank you so much for the information. My symptoms are the cough and the throat pain.  I hope that this is easily treated!