GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
GERD (GORD) and Intestinal Metaplasia
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

GERD (GORD) and Intestinal Metaplasia

I had an upper endoscopy last week to evaluate oesophageal damage due to GORD. The results showed oesophagitis and gastritis with prominent (what ever that means!) intestinal metaplasia in the stomach, not in the oesophagus, but no evidence of H Pylori infection. Since I don't drink or smoke and can't tolerate aspirin based medications, I'm wondering what the possible cause of MI could be? My gastroenterologist says that the MI appeared in one biopsy and there was no dysplasia but he only took 2 sets, one from the oesophagus and one from the stomach, although I think there were several samples in each set. He says that means a greater predisposition to cancer,  but there's nothing to worry about at this stage. He says I should have a repeat gastroscopy in 3 years when he'll do more extensive biopsies. Is it safe to leave it 3 years before more extensive biopsies are done? He's given me Nexium to take only when I get heartburn, which I have been on for 6 months anyway, but that just cuts the pain, it doesn't stop the bloating, breathlessness, constant cough and lately, hoarseness. Is there anything else I can do to relieve the symptoms? I am already on a low fat, low carb diet because of type 2 diabetes and have lost about half the weight I need to lose, although I still have about 15kg yet to go. Do you have any suggestions? All I can find on the internet is references to clearing H Pylori to reverse the MI, but since I don't have that, I'm wondering what else can be done to reverse the MI.