GERD/GORD treatment
Hey all....i didnt realise there was a reflux section otherwise i would have posted on here instead of general stomach problems.

So, ive had the problems for getting on for two years now and i began to realise that excess belching and chest pain from indigestion and heartburn wasnt normal...so on monday i finally had a gastroscopy and the doctor told me my stomach sphincter wasnt closing properly...i asked if he meant GORD and he said yes.

I have to wait a couple of weeks before going to my GP but i was curious to know which treatment is used and what seems to work for other sufferers of the condition?
Hi and welcome to the forum.Since ur sphincter is slow to close there r foods u should avoid such as dairy as it can slow down the sphincter even more.
We have a list of tips and lifestyle changes in our Health Pages here on MedHelp.
Everyone is diff as to which meds will work ....PPI's like prilosec are available OTC and Histamine blockers like pepcid are also available OTC.U may want to try one of these and the tips of foods to avoid until ur dr gives u an rx and dosage instructions.
Below I copied and pasted info and links for additional info.
******************************************************************************************************
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroesophageal_reflux_disease

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD), Gastric reflux disease, or Acid reflux disease is defined as chronic symptoms or mucosal damage produced by the abnormal reflux in the esophagus.[1]

This is commonly due to transient or permanent changes in the barrier between the esophagus and the stomach. This can be due to incompetence of the lower esophageal sphincter, transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxation, impaired expulsion of gastric reflux from the esophagus, or a hiatus hernia. If the reflux reaches the throat, it is called laryngopharyngeal reflux disease

If there is anything else we can do to help, please post another question.

"selma"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16929616
Thank you selma for your help :) tis apprieciated

x