GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
GERD causing bloating and left shoulder pain?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

I am a 27 year old female. I've had three children and am fit and pretty healthy. I've been suffering for several years from constipation and occasional diarrhea. About 5 years ago I started having issues with gas and bloating. My abdomen would distend to the point of making breathing difficult and I looked several months pregnant and eventually it would cause pain in the tip of my left shoulder so bad, I would compare the intensity to labor. It was usually cause by drinking soda or other carbonated drinks, chewing gum, sometimes it was caused by meals with a lot of dairy or grease, but I also found that sometimes not eating, for more than 12 hours or so would cause this bloating and pain. Belching has been near impossible for me since this began. And passing flatus has become increasingly difficult. The only way to get relief was to lay on my side, completely horizontal and wait for the gas to pass, periodically changing sides. And the amount of gas that eventually passes is amazing. I've talked with my doctor and have had abdominal ultrasounds that show everything looks fine, including gallbladder and spleen, no hiatal hernia, etc. She suggested that the referred shoulder pain and gas could be caused by GERD, but I dont have heartburn or acid reflux. Just wanted an experts opinion. I'm really suffering.
You probably have functional dyspepsia with reflux.
Take PPI like prilosec along with a prokinetic.
Avoid gas forming food items like beans, cabbage, broccoli, dairy products.
Avoid alcohol, cola and dairy products.
Take simethicone to decrease gas and its effects.