GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
GERD disease before 40 and needs suggestions

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

I am basically 40 (turn 40 on Thursday), I unfortantely have not had great luck with health even though I stay active and am petite. Since the 90's I've had IBS and High Cholesterol with high lipids too. When I turned 30 I was diagnosed with Ostepenia (in my family but not that young), I've passed 3 kidney stones in less than 10 years. I have dry eye syndrome (Tear level 3). 2009 I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis Autoimmune Disease and yoyo all the time on Synthroid or off. In August 2011 I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus Disease w/o Dysplasia as well as Stomach, Antral Type Mucosa w/Regenerative Changes. Reflux on my 48 hour Bravo was so high, I had a Lap Nissen Fundoplacation w/Hernia Repair Jan 2012, ended up with a leak and 7cm bacterial mass near the wrap that had to be surgically drained, emergency and hospitalized with 103 fever and O2 below 70. Finally back on my feet and my reflux comes back but form of Chest Pains. Another Bravo confirmed as well. Had an EGD w/Dilation Jan 2013. Feb 2013 (Last month) ENT consult confirmed I have LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease) as well as MTD (Muscle Tension Dydphonia) in my neck and throat.

My question is 1. I know my case/situation is pretty serious and have been put on Nexium as well twice a day to make the reflux stop completely to avoid any Dysplasia in my Stomach, Esophagus and Throat and I've already started Voice Therapy sessions b/c I loose my voice at times and tension of the jaw with the reflux but I'm having a hard time figuring out foods to eat. I need snack suggestions for to go since I can't eat much out and on the run at Restaurants. I'm lost in the cooking/ food catagory.

My other question is 2. If I've already had a Nissen and now I'm worse with the LPR in my throat etc, what's next? From what I've read the Nissen is the only thing that is an option and I've already had it and then had a 1 in a million leak with 7cm mass internally complication.

I'm clearly scared to death now of what I need to do for my future starting now.
The medical conditions listed for high acid - H pylori bacteria and Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome. Have both been ruled out? I can suggest digestive enzymes which can be used by anyone with high or low acid or who wants to improve digestion.  These supplements help with IBS symptoms. Also recommended are probiotics to improve gut health.
I've been told and am using Probiotics yogurt etc and am now on Nexium 40mg twice a day. On my biospy in 2011 for Stomach Antrum biopsy even though it said Antral Type Mucosa w/Regenerative Changes it was "No H. Pylori-Like Organisms Identified"  But the Barrett's is at the junction, different place.
Hi there,

I am 37 and had Nissen fundo last year due to severe GERD and Barret's Esophagus - also without dysplasia.

I have learned now that Barret's is not a death sentence and only 5% of those with Barret's will get dysplasia and then dysplasia High grade turns into esophagus cancer.  In the beginning you should go for annual biopsies until no change in metaplasia, then you can go for 3-yearly biopsies.

Although you have had a lot of complications and health problems, you should not be to worried about the Barret's diagnoses.

Hope it helps :)
Hello Smiley I just had my Nissen 6 weeks ago and feel pretty good.  Unfortunately for some reason I was told by my Gastro Doc ( not the same doc that did my surgery) that I need to be taking PPI's everyday!!!!!

I have a short .5 ND Barretts and I got the operation because I thought I'd be cleared from taking these drugs - really upset!!!

R u still taking PPI's?
Hi there,

I have a long segment of BE but do not take any further medication for it.  I go for annual biopsies to monitor dysplasia grades.

You should ask you Doctor why he still prescribes you PPI's daily.  You would think that post-Nissen op you should not need it.