Gall in stomach, acid in lungs, difficulty breathing
I have no gallbladder, am 43 and slightly overweight. I started choking at night and having difficulty breathing which eventually lead to heart palpitations and "warm" feelings in my left arm and a tension in my chest. I would also wake up tired and hoarse most mornings. Test revealed Gall in my stomach with "burn"marks from the acid in my throat. Subsequent medication over a 3 months period has helped, but the reflux returns occassionally, I snore very heavily when I sleep and the tension in chest area has not returned.  I still experience lung problems, specifically a feeling of not being able to breathe out properly and still often get very short of breath. This is alleviated (most embarrasingly) by burping, sometimes only 24 hours later. Immediate reflief is then felt. Is it possible that permanent damage has been caused to my lungs? I am normally healthy, but have truly never had 100% lung function since this started, roughly about 5 months ago
Hi if u r aspirating acid into ur lungs this is very dangerous.....

I am not sure what u mean by Gall in ur stomach.....???

Are u on meds for ur acid reflux?...if so what meds?

Have u been checked for sleep apnea?

"selma"
Yes, it was established that acid had gone into my lungs. As my Medical Cover was exhausted at that time, I have not been able to go for xrays to my lungs (until next week).  I "swallowed" the pipe under local aneasthetic about 6 weeks ago and the Specialist was confused that Gall had made it all the way into my stomach.  My GP r treated me with the following 3 x courses of roughly 28 tablets each, stating clearly the that each course could only start once the previous one had been completed.

After this my reflux was 90% gone, but the shortness of breath and inability to burp (which brings instant relief) still occured about 40%.  Lately, this 40% appeared to be increasing again, causing such shortness of breath that I have stopped exercising and trying to lose weight entirely.

My GP has prescribed the same medication as a repeat of the first course again, being...

1st course  Nexiam 40mgs
2nd course unknown, but it is a 15mg dosage
3rd course Ran-Lansoprazole 30 mg dosage

Ask ur dr about the following condition to see if mayb it could be something u have...it also sounds like ur issue is med related as u did not mention having it b4 going into the hospital....many get reflux from meds /drugs used while we r in the hospital and since u also aspirated into ur lungs....it just may take longer to clear it all up.

Good luck
"selma"

Symptoms of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux are:

Continual throat clearing
Chronic throat irritation
Chronic cough
Hoarseness
Excessive phlegm the throat
Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
Constant sensation of something in the throat
Swallowed food comes back up
Post nasal drainage
Weak voice
Cracking voice
Blockage of the breathing passage
Spasm of the larynx (voice box)
Wheezing
Heartburn
This condition is a result of both UES and LES not working correctly.
And it is possible not to have typical gerd/acid reflux  symptoms
Hi, apologies for not having explained properly:

a) The reason I had the pipe procedure was due to my symptoms being pre-existing so the meds I received after, did not cause it.

b) It is bile that was found in my tummy that should not be there (as per the specialist), but as mentioned..    The GERD seems to be settling with medication..

c) It is thus bile and stomach acid that aspirated into my lungs and on it's way there, caused some problems with my throat and vocal cords.

My main concern is that my lungs do not seem to be clearing up despite being on a second round of strong medication.  Is it possible that permanent damage could have been caused?  I smoked for 22 years, but stopped 3 years ago.
Oh ...ok I understand what u mean....my father had a similar issue and it did take time for him to clear up too...his GB was taken out and what his drs called sludge was found in his stomach.....after months I looked into the possibility it could be H. Pylori and found that is common after a GB removal....he was placed on probiotics and is doing much better.

Have u been checked for H. Pylori?

"selma"