Gastric Pacemaker
Hi.

My surgeon has mentioned a stomach pacemaker could be an alternative if they find my problem is delayed stomach emptying. At the moment I am down for a nissen fundoplication, subject to results of my endoscopy which I ham having this week.  I have already had the Nissen down once and then reversed but my stomach and gullet are so damaged now and do not know whciah way to go.

Is their any advice about this pacemaker please. If you have had one did it improve things and what are the pitfalls?

Hi wondering what u decided to do....I am not familiar with this procedure, but since the Nissen did not work the first time and u have had it reversed, u may want to try something new???

Keep us posted as what u try and how it works for u.
Hi Selma

The nissen did work the first time ie stopped the acid reflux but caused  other problems.  Had it taken down and the reflux came back  more severe and caused a lot of damage in a short time. If i have delayed stomach empyting then the surgeon mentioned the pacemaker. Not sure, as an alternative or aswell.  Today I go for my endoscopy and he may have the results of my stomach empyting scan.  

I have looked at alternatives but apparently I am too far advanced for some of the different procedures.  Catch 22 really.

I am really looking for guidance from someone who has the stomach pacemaker or had one and how they found it. Thank you for your posting.

Good luck with ur endoscopy and I hope someone that has had the gastric pacemaker will reply.

Please post an update on what u end up doing and how it helps : )
This is a follow on. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has motility problems in the gullet who has had a partial wrap.  To date I am waiting for this procedure but am beginning to question it. I have had the full wrap and then an undo but symptoms increased to grade 4 erosions.
Any comments please. Thank you
pip, like Selma, I haven't heard of the procedure but looking it up it looks like the cutting edge of surgical procedures.  I've had a NF procedure (successful)  but am always interested in what I may have ahead.

Is the partial wrap recommended with the stomach pacer?  I've never understood why a partial is recommended, but maybe it is done to accommodate the pacer equipment. The science of the procedure looks interesting and promising, but it sounds like you will be uncomfortable for awhile.

Grade 4 cell changes are certainly challenging, so is the new procedure.  Let us know what you decide, and please, keep us informed.  Thoughts and prayers.
Hi Selma. My surgeon is not going down the pacemaker route as my stomach emptying test was not bad enough.  He is still wanting to do a partial wrap - toupet I think it is called!! It has been on hold as my pre-op assessent threw something up and they have not told me what.  I am now beginning to question myself if want to go through this major operation or not. A partial wrap is an option if you have motility problems ie the muscles in the gullet do not push the food down into the stomach. My full wrap gave me so many problems because of this and it was too tight to accommodate my condition. The first surgeon did not take it into consideration. I have changed surgeons and he is more experienced and has been really good. I should have had the operation last week and now I am having second thoughts.