GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Gastric inlet patches

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Gastric inlet patches

Any one on here ever been diagnosed with having "Gastric inlet patches?"  I have had this burning and red throat for almost 11 months now and eventually ended up going to a Gastroent. Specialist that did 24hr imbulatory tests and Gastroscope that discovered these patches on the top part of my esophagus.  The test revealed that I had 45 episodes of reflux during this period, of which 14 comes from my patches.  I also have Barrets at the lower end of my esophagus.  

I have been taking PPI's every day, but the Nexium does not get to treat the problem-area, as it is almost in my throat.

It is unfortunately I huge problem for me, because I have a hoarse voice, sore throat and bad taste in my mouth, constantly that is affecting my entire life and I am losing more and more weight as I have no apitite.

Will appreciate info on this.
I had a follow-up with ENT today and he did a Laryngoscopy.  My vocal cords are terribly swolen and I have been struggling with Bronchitis more than usual - it is summer hear.

Does anyone know of a way of removing these gastric inlet patches?  If I was 85 years old, I would not have a problem with the idea of taking live-long meds!  But I am 35yrs old and taking Nexium for the rest of my life and drinking Zantac and Gaviscon after every meal is no picnic.  It tastes awful.
I have to bump myself up or my message will get lost.

Does anyone on here have any advice on this for me?
I haven't heard this one yet, but I do have confirmed gastritis.
I have been diagnosed with an inlet patch also. Before the IP was discovered, I was taking Nexium which made me lose my appetite and I lost  weight. Since i've been diagnosed I take Ranitidine 150 'mg twice a day. My throat is much better but I still have discomfort that is manageable. My weight has returned to normal. I believe that the IP produces the acid in the throat because it has the same cells as the stomach.  I have been on Ranitidine for 2 months now. Though this is not a perfect solution, it is much better than taking Nexium. I am worried about the long-term condition of my throat and try to adhere to a strict diet  and I am trying to find successful ablation treatment for my condition.,
.
Hi there,

Since posting this, I have new information on gastric inlet patches...

Long story short:  we moved from South Africa to Australia during July 2011 and at some stage I had to go see a Gastro Enterologist here and he was outraged when he learned that I have a long Barrets segment and no one has offered me a Nissen fundo, so I had some more tests and consults and eventually agreed on the operation and had a Nissen fundo on the 8th of Feb. 2012.

According to him:  gastric inlet patches are an accidental finding during an Endoscopy and has absolutely NO acidic values and can not cause any symptoms.

I did however ended up seeing an Otolaryncologist who did his tests and discovered that I have a Chricopharengeal muscle dysfunction and thickening of the muscle due to longstanding GERD and have had a botillium injection into the muscle and will have this done every 3 months, until I agree to a Myotomy.

Out of my experience and knowledge:  DO NOT agree to Ablation treatment for gastric inlet patches as it is very risky to have Ablation on the esophagus for something that is harmless and non-cancerous.

Hope the info helps and let me know if I can help with anything :)
I have this same condition and suffered for two years without any relief from PPI's or H2 blockers. I finally saw a thoracic specialist at USC who diagnosed me with gastric inlet patches. He was not able to tell me for sure these were the cause of my problems, but he did an ablation in May, 2013. I felt significantly better for about six weeks, and the symptoms returned. I had another endoscopy which showed residual patches. I had a second endoscopy in February, 2014 with ablation, and did great for several months. In December, 2014 I had a severe esophageal spasm and feel the symptoms have returned. I'm waiting to have another endoscopy and possible ablation if indeed the gastric inlet patches have occurred, but cannot get an appointment till May, 2015.
IVE BEEN DEALING WITH 2 LARGE INLET PATCHES FOR 2 YEARS.IHAD AN ABLATION IN 2013 WITH SOME RELIEF. IVE TRIED LOW DOSE ANTIDEPRESSANTS WITH SOME RELIEF BUT CANT HANDLE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE MEDS. NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS THESE SYMPTOMS ARE REAL AND ARE CAUSED BY THE PATCHES,IVE HAD THIS CONFIRMED FROM THE DOCTORS AT LOYOLA. FOR ME IF I HAD NO STRESS I WOULDNT HAVE ISSUES BUT WITH A BUSINESS AND AGING PARENTS THATS NOT POSSIBLE.IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE OR HAVE HAD SUCCESS WITH ANY TREATMENTS OR MEDS,PLEASE CONTACT ME....MY EMAIL IS    ***@****    MY NAME IS STEVE, 58 YEARS OLD.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
specialmom commented on photo
Dee1956 commented on photo