Gerd and pantoprazole
How long will I have to take pantoprazole 40mg/day for my acid reflux?  Will I ever be cured from acid reflux hence no more medicine OR this is a life time thing which means continued use of daily medicine?

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

There is no way for ne of us to tell u that...or for ur Dr to answer that...it all depends on u and how u manage this condition.....

First, make sure u do not have ne other underlying issues and follow  a modified diet and life style to help the meds u r on....

U need to eat healthy and exercise...walk out side ...keep active ....try and reduce stress with meditation or other means to relax....

For motr tips on diet and lifestyle tips see the Health Pages -http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236
Thanks. So it can be cured. I read it somewhere that I should not take the medicine more than 6-8weeks. My dr gave me 12 refills on a 30 days prescription. What is the deal?
you might avoid coffee and spicy foods, soda.  I have GERD and pantoprozole helps my nausea/acid a lot maybe better than 40mg of nexium or zantac

I have pain when I swallow liquids which seems to be from GERD?  can that cause asthma/sleep apnea problems??
can you be healed of GERD damage to your throat?  I heard it can get severe?

It all depends what the underlying cause is and if it is treated....for me, I am able to go long periods and not need the meds....and if I want to eat things that I know will cause it to flare up, I take a pill b4 I eat (approx 1 hr b4) so that it does not affect me.

Certain meds or illnesses can cause it to flare back up as can stress.

Only ur Dr can tell u if this can be managed in a short time...but u have to do all the other things, diet, lifestyle...exercise...eat healthy...and it may help keep it under control.

The meds can help heal damage caused by the reflux....so take them as ur Dr directs and read the package as to how soon b4 eating or after u should take the meds.

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

Not all throat pain is from GERD...it can be a thyroid issue...my sister just learned this when she had such a severe sore throat , she felt it was just from PND and sinus....well she went to the Drs and found her thyroid was full of enlarged nodules and she needs to have them biopsied....

So do not try to self medicate, see ur Dr and make sure u know what the underlying issues are and get them treated.
I have have had severe GERD for almost 22 years--my surgeon tried to tell me I needed surgery 16 years ago.  I was being treated with a PPI and still having breakthrough symptoms.   When things would get better, I would quit taking the meds---i really fought taking them.  My surgeon told me it was just a matter of time and I would have to have the surgery.

I have had to have my esophagus dilated 4 times now, 3 of them have been the last 3 years in a row.  I have had shotzky's rings 3 times and my food gets stuck, sometimes--this can be very painful.  I have to be very careful about eating meat, rice, vegetable chips--things that clump together can be a problem.

I have developed a condition called eosinophilic esophagitis, which is often mistaken for reflux.  It a fairly newly recognized condition.  It has caused changes in my esophagus---I have rings and furrows in the surface of the esophagus.  They started me on high dose prevacid--30 mgs 2x daily--after 2 months i have not improved.  Then they put me on a swallowed steroid----and, of course, I had thrush within 2 weeks.  i see the doc tomorrow and i am not seeing any improvement.

We have to get my esophagus healthy enough so that i can have a fundo.  My GI believes that my EE is secondary to my GERD.

I guess I'm trying to tell you to follow what your doctor says, take your medication, We raise our bed about 3 inches so i can sleep in it--otherwise I'm in the recliner alot,  

selmaS is definitely right about knowing what the underlying issues are, as there are a number of things that can be causing or aggravating reflux.