GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Gerd symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Gerd symptoms

Hi everybody,

Could someone please advise if there is some connection between acid reflex or gerd and geographic tongue. It looks like I developed both of it at the same time?  Thank you

[The top side of the tongue is covered in small protrusions called papillae. In a tongue affected by geographic tongue, there are red patches on the surface of the tongue bordered by grayish white. The papillae are missing from the reddish areas and overcrowded in the grayish white borders. Whitish/yellow discolouration of the tongue is frequently due to a yeast infection. The small patches may disappear and reappear in a short period of time (hours or days), and change in shape or size. While it is not common for the condition to cause pain, it may cause a burning or stinging sensation, especially after contact with certain foods. Foods that sometimes cause irritation, burning or slight swelling of the tongue include tomato, eggplant, walnuts, sharp cheeses, spicy foods, sour foods, mint, candy and citrus. Geographic tongue may also cause numbness. Coexistence of fissures of the tongue is often noticed. Chemicals, such as mouth washes and teeth whiteners, can also aggravate the condition. Lesions may occasionally occur on sites other than the tongue.]
Thank you for your reply.

The reason why I asked is that I do have some white lines that make small circles only on sides of a tongue and it changes shapes and it already disappeared before and I got it back few days ago again. But my tong in not white so I do not thing that I have a yeast infection. So, can I develop an yeast infection that will affect only on white lines of geographic tongue or the whole tongue should be white or in patches?

Thank you