GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Gerd

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Gerd

Is there always heartburn in GERD?
The unawareness of Silent Reflux can be costly to its victim so to speak.
Like past rock stars suffocating (dying) on their own intoxicated puke, it is possible to suffocate from silent relux at night. When little babies die in their sleep - sometimes it nighttime reflux.

I would get Silent Reflux really bad at night in the past (can be startling), which was partially from low thyroid. I always mention the hypo thyroid as a cause since many are unaware that thyroid partially influences everything.

I awoke one night 3 AM about 4 yrs ago gasping for air and gurgling / coughing acid in my throat. When that happens for the first time in your deep sleep, you literally feel like your suffocating, (you actually are!) as you have no clue what is happening.  I had no pain in the throat, but the acid tingled my mouth. Mouth tasted metallic and throat was very harsh the next day. That was my first trip to the Dr for GERD, as I had no idea I even had it. I hated sleeping for quite a while after that. Never had heartburn in my life.

Because you can sometimes sleep thru mild episodes of Silent Reflux, its best for anyone with this condition to jack up the head of the bed 4-8 inches, maybe forever. Even when GERD seems to be under control,  as you might not be aware of the damage it could be causing. And traveling - sounds crazy, but in the past, I packed 4 small,  2x4 wood blocks in the suitcase.

With me, just as I thought it was gone forever, I ate to much "bad GERD food" over the holidays and my silent reflux came back, although not as bad as in the past. The throat clearing came before the nighttime reflux- its a sign if you don't have a cold. Getting better. For me it takes boring food, digestive enzymes, probiotics, d-Limonene (see my post on this miracle) a jacked up bed angle, and patients.
No. Not everyone gets heartburn, even if gerd goes all the way up to some peoples teeth.

A Dr once told me whether you feel the pain from acid under the sternum area (heartburn) depends on an individuals nerve placement, which varies.

Hi..as Lazymoose said.....no, not all with GERD will have heartburn...there is even a condition called Laryngopharyngeal Reflux  aka Silent Reflux- as a result the symptoms can go undx'd ...

Symptoms of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux are:

Continual throat clearing
Chronic throat irritation
Chronic cough
Hoarseness
Excessive phlegm the throat
Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
Constant sensation of something in the throat
Swallowed food comes back up
Post nasal drainage
Weak voice
Cracking voice
Blockage of the breathing passage
Spasm of the larynx (voice box)
Wheezing
Heartburn (not everyone experiences this)
This condition is a result of both UES and LES not working correctly.
And it is possible not to have typical gerd/acid reflux  symptoms
I had severe enough heartburn to remove the enamel of my teeth and burned my vocal cords, and it happened fast, and without much discomfort.  Lazy Moose is right about that.  Another factor is diabetes, which changes how nerves react to stress.  

Hi SelmaS!   Thanks a lot and  I thank God for your nice reply.  He has endowed you with great knowledge and may He continue to do so.  What a marvelous life you have in helping many people!  Thank you very much and many thanks to Medhelp!  Selma, I have seen three doctors already and they all said I don't have GERD because I don't feel any heartburn.  I have some of the Symptoms of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux which you have written.  This is my first time to encounter this word.  May I know which kind of doctor or specialist shall I go?  Thanks a lot my dear.  God bless you.  

A Gastrointestinal Dr is best..if u have a PCP he may be able to suggest some or if ur ins requires a referral...u may want to try that way.

Good luck and do post updates on ur progress

"selma"
That's weird cause I don't feel the heartburn, yet I have GERD. My damaged oesophagus proved that, but not the so-called burning sensation I'm supposed to feel. Try getting bettwr doctors.

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

Not everyone will feel heartburn and it can depend on the type of GERD you have...LPN is one type that may not cause heart burn....it is often referred to as Silent Reflux...

Having the right Dr is key no matter what medical issue you have, so if you are not getting better...check into getting another opinion.