GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Grade C - Ulcerated Reflux Oesophagitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Grade C - Ulcerated Reflux Oesophagitis

I am a 24 year old male with a history of heartburn and acid reflux. I weigh around 100kg (220 pounds) and am about 183cm (6 feet).

This morning I had an endoscopy performed, in which the following was noted: -

"In the oesophagus the squamocolumnar junction was at 36cm and there was significant ulceration consistent with Los Angeles Grade C reflux oesophagitis. (Impression: Ulcerated reflux oesophagitis)"

The Helicobacter plyori biopsy will be back some time tomorrow.

My questions are: -

Is this uncommon for my age, or does age play a significant factor? I am concerned that I have some serious damage that people in older age groups would normally get.

How long would the damage have been being caused to get to this stage? Could this have been over 6 months, or more likely many years?

In the absence of any other clinical findings on the report, I assume that a hiatal hernia was not observed, is this correct?

Is Helicobacter pylori a likely cause for this, and if not, what are common causes?

What treatment is available? Just PPI's?

What is the normal progression of this condition?

Thank you very much for your time.
Hi...if ur H.Pylori comes back positive u may need a few rounds of antibiotics....that said, antibiotics can kill off all the good bacteria we need to digest our food.

Do ask about a probiotic after ur know the H.Pylori is gone.

Diet and life style can affect u sin getting GERD issues...H.Pylori is many times found after a Gall Bladder surgery....but, since u have an ulceration it is most likely there that the bacteria settled.

So to me, a non medical person it sounds as if u had some long term gerd issues left untreated.

Do look into modifying ur diet and life style to help the meds and ur system get back into proper balance.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236

"selma"
Hi Matt,

I am 35, female.  Weigh 62,4kg and 1,67m tall.  I have Barrets and some tummy-tissue that grew on my upper esophagus - so I actually have 2 tummies :)  So I understand that you face some sort of PPI for a long term plan, but I also think that there should be other options available to us.  If it wasn't noted on your report, then you don't have a Hiatus hernia.  It is possible that your tummy valve (LES) may be hypotensive as that can explain the GERD.

The tests that was done to check for H.pylori is also very important as this bacteria can cause cancer in the long run and has to be killed with special antibiotics.  That would explain the severe damage.

After my experience last week and the past year, I would advice anyone to go for the 24hr ambulatory test.  It is 99% accurate on getting a diagnosis and to find the cause.

Let us know as soon as you got your biops report back.

On 100kg you are a little bit over weight and you should try to see a Dietician to help you eat an acid-free and fat-free diet.  If you smoke:  STOP.  and if you take the occasional beer or something, it should be okay.
Thanks for your reply.

H.Pylori biopsies have come back negative. I was almost hoping for a positive test, so at least it was something that had an appropriate treatment option.

In any case, it is motivation to lose the excess weight. I was very thin up until my late teenage years, and since then have been steadily gaining weight.

I don't smoke, and drink fairly rarely, and in moderation, so the main thing for me is to lose the weight!
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
Remedies for Arthritis Pain
12 mins ago by gymdandee
minstrel59 commented on What Everyone Should ...
genetically modified organisms (GM...
18 hrs ago by gymdandee