Heartburn without eating?
Early this morning around 3:30 a.m., I got relatively severe heartburn (or so I think it was) that woke me up and kept me up for the rest of the morning. I finally got my hands on some Prilosec at 1 p.m. today but it's now 7 p.m. and I still have burning pain in my chest that comes and goes (usually lasts only a few minutes).

Last night before the heartburn, I didn't eat anything (I did drink a couple of Cokes and had Taco Bell -mistake I know - for lunch yesterday) because I have been having stomach problems for a few days (severe diarrhea and cramps).

Anyway I was wondering if heartburn could come even without eating anything (other than Cokes) several hours before the symptoms begin and could last (in spurts) for as long as it has without any relief. I also cannot pinpoint what makes the pain better or worse, as it seems to be able come on if I am sitting, lying down or standing (though less when standing).

I am 22, quite a bit overweight, and started my second year of law school this week.

I typically get really anxious when I get chest pain (this type of pain has happened a few times over the past year or so) and it seems to make it worse or always put me on edge thinking it could be something with my heart (there doesn't seem to be any real radiation of pain other than some pain in my upper abdomen and a little in my throat) even though I am only 22 and that is pretty rare.

I went to the doctor today for my abdominal pain, and after doing a CBC and checkup, she said it was likely a stomach virus that was going around. I mentioned my heartburn and she didn't seem to think anything of it, though I am not sure we ever got on the same page with my exact symptoms.

Thanks.
Hi . Coke has caffeine and caffeine is a huge GERD trigger.  I wonder if decaf may help if you drink it ?

Hope you feel better soon .....and do keep us posted
No, no to carbonated....sorry, but that along with caffeine will burn you......i can't even drink de-caf
I must agree with the 2 above posters....carbonated bev is on the list to avoid...and then the taco ...spicey food is yet another thing to avoid.

And yes it is possible to have gerd symptoms even if u don't eat....ur stomach will produce acids to break down foods....so u need to put something in.....

"selma"