Heller Myotomy
I had a heller myotomy when I was 2 months old, I am now 20 and with each day that goes by swallowing seems to be more complicated. I had tests done and they said half of my esophagus isn't functioning and it has a small tear in it. I feel so alone and in pain a lot. I constantly throw up food I try to eat, I'm always having heartburn and I have met no one with this problem. I can't afford anymore tests but I've been trying to find a new GI doctor because my last one won't see me because another doctor did a procedure without his consent and now neither will see me because their being childish. I am very frustrated and stressed. If anyone can give me any advice or can relate in anyway that would be amazing. I feel tired all the time and so hungry from my food not going down.  I'm tired of trying to only eat soft foods.
Hi there,

I had to google "Heller Myotomy" as I've not heard of it before.

I have a similar problem:  I have Chricopharengeal muscle dysfunction and spasms and 2 weeks ago my Doc offered to do a Myotomy on me!

Basically, I am 39 years old, struggled with undiagnosed GERD most of my adult life and eventually it was discovered that I have serious acid reflux and had the anti-reflux operation, but my throat symptoms never got better or disappeared.

I got the Chrico problem due to the longstanding GERD, but it is permanent.  I've had botillium injections into the muscle and then my symptoms improve, but it only lasts 2-3 months and then I am back to square one.

I am under the care of an Otolaryncologist.  He specialises in ENT but throat and neck related!  I had a modified barium swallow test last year that indicates to them what I am struggling with:  my food gets stuck in my chest and throat area!  nothing they can do about it.  I just had to learn to avoid certain foods and to drink liquids with my food.

Do you know of an Otolaryncologist in your area?  Go and see one!  they are different than normal ENT's and may be able to help?  Take all your tests, etc. with you when  you go.

At this stage I want to tell you that I know what you are going through.  Eating is a battle.  I am very scared of going ahead with the Myotomy, but have the option to go for a repeat botillium injection.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Just completed paperwork to get a repeat Botillium injection into the Chricopharengeus musle.  have to wait up to 90 days!