Hellers Myotomy
My 26 year old son had a Hellers Myotomy 13 years ago which proved successful.   He has since not been recalled to any further hospital follow up nor barium checks.   However over the last couple of years he experiences severe cramping in his chest and tends to drink at least a pint of water or more to relieve the symptons (he always has to drink water with each meal approx a pint).  The cramps come on a various times and not associated with eating.   Recently the cramps have become more intensive and he has lost weight.  The GP is of the opinion this is one of the down sides to the operation - is this correct?
Hi...there is not a dr in this forum as this is a support forum.,

Having the sphinter cut of the LES to allow food to pass bcuz it did not work properly is understandable to me, to a point...how it may be affecting him long term only a GI dr would be able to do. I would ask that he see a GI dr and have a barium swallow done to see how it all is working and what is going on.

We do have an expert forum here if u wish to place a question there.
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/GERD-Acid-Reflux/show/200

Good luck
"selma"