Hiatus Hernia - alternative to surgery?
Ended up in the ER last night with acid reflux / esophagitis symptoms. ER doc said he was very surprised my doctor had changed me from Losec (which was not working) to Nexium (which is also not working), since they are essentially the same drug. I’m also on Motilium. None of these drugs seems to help at all with my symptoms.
Spoke to my pharmacist today who said that my reflux seems to be stemming from a “functional” issue rather than a “lifestyle” issue (I’m not overweight, sleep with the head of the bed raised, eat very clean, never coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate, tomatoes, etc.).

I’m in to see a specialist on Friday and I expect they’ll schedule an endoscopy.

What are the “functional” causes of acid reflux? I’m aware of hiatus hernia, but the pharmacist mentioned spasms? Are there any other potential causes?

If this is a hiatus hernia and the symptoms can’t be managed by lifestyle changes and medication, are there any treatment options outside of surgery?

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

I do not know from first hand knowledge, but have read where others have tried a procedure that is done by a Chiropractor...they manually manipulate the area of the hiatal hernia to move it so u have less symptoms. I do not know if ALL chiro's do this, or how often u need to be treated.....but it is not surgery and may be worth a try.

Other then that I do not know what to offer, I too have a hiatal hernia and have flares and it has nothing to do with my lifestyle or diet....but I also have IBS and noticed an increase of GERD symptoms when my IBS flares due to changes in weather......

If it is due to a spasm, ask your doctor for Dicyclomine.  it works great and very quickly on esophageal spasms.