How can this be GERD?

brittanypi...

Joined on 06-07-2010
4 Posts
51 Points

Gerd? Or something else?

I typically don't post I just google my symptoms and read...but I can't handle this much longer.

I have been having 'episodes', almost always after I've eaten and typically when I'm relaxed. Ill get a rushing sensation throughout my chest and shortness of breath. Sometimes it leads to a lump in my throat that lasts for about a day. The shortness of breath is the biggest symptom. I've had EKGs, stress tests and ultrasounds of my heart (all fine), so I've taken 14 days of Prilosec OTC and it didnt work, now I'm on a prescribed medication which is still not working.

When I first started experiencing these 'flare ups' I instantly thought it was my heart and began taking 2 baby aspirin a day, since then it has worsened...

Currently I have a lump in my throat, sensation of not getting enough air and some pains around my collarbone sometimes shooting toward my shoulder blades.

I'm also wondering what a GERD flare up feels like and how acid can cause a lump in my throat but I never have burning sensations in my throat!

Thanks for any and all responses!

I haven't had a lot of burning sensations in my throat over the years, either----but I've had an awful lot of that feeling of a lump in my throat.  It is caused by referred pain.  The sensation is coming from your lower esophagus,where it is most likely irritated, but for some reason, instead of feeling it down low, you feel the sensation in your throat.

I get this a lot when i swallow pills--it feels like they just won't go completely down for awhile.

I'm guessing here, and just throwing out a possibility.  I don't exactly know what you mean by a rushing sensation, but reflux can cause you to have esophageal spasms and I think they can in turn affect your trachea, since they are so close together and that could possibly be causing the shortness of breath.

What prescription are you on?  A PPI can take up to 4 weeks to kick in because the damage has to heal.  However,  PPI will not stop reflux from happening, it will only make it so it doesn't burn or cause esophageal damage.

I have gotten mostly chest pain from my reflux----but it is more  in the center of my chest.

Even when it isn't hurting me, i can't bend over even to make my bed, if I have food in my stomach---or it will start to come up.

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

U said u r under the care of a Dr and on a an RX'd med....is it a GI Dr?

What tests did they do? a PCP may give u a RX for GERD meds due to ur symptoms, but, the lump in the throat in addition to being GERD, it can also be a thyroid issue...so ask questions.

Also in addition to getting the RX for meds did ur Dr tell u to avoid certain foods and bevs that can trigger GERD? If not the meds do not work alone, or immediately so u have to have patience modify ur diet and lifestyle....eat healthy avoiding triggers and exercise.
For tips on foods that u should avoid and tips on lifestyle see the Health Pages -http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236