How long to see results from nexium?
For several months, I've had what was diagnosed as mild esophagitis and reflux. OTC prilosec did not work at all. Finally went to a different GI doc who prescribed 40mg nexium once daily. I've been on it a week and within the the first couple days, I could feel some relief of the esophagitis. However, I still have this lump-like feeling in my throat, that although was there off and on over the last several months, seems to be the primary culprit now. Seems like I got rid of pain in one area to only have it shift to another. I know it can take weeks for nexium to work, but anyone have similar symptoms?

Hi...more importantly then what meds, did ur Dr also advise u to modify ur diet and lifestyle?

This is very important.....there are foods to avoid, and lifestyle such as elevating the head of ur bed, not eating 3 to 4 hrs prior to lying down.....

Do look at the articles MedHelp has posted for  more info-http://www.medhelp.org/gerd/articles/Help-for-Nighttime-Heartburn/40

http://www.medhelp.org/gerd/articles/What-is-Heartburn/247

Keep in mind PPI's do not work for everyone, or without the dietary changes....and everyone is different in how they work or if they will work....so give them a few weeks, if no change ask ur Dr about trying a H2inhibitor like pepcid.....but, the diet modifications will also aid the meds so do try that as well.

"selma"
I would recommend giving the medication one month for maxium relief.  You might find you feel better before then.
Thanks. I am a very active 39yo. and in good shape. My diet is pretty good. I've pretty much cut out all caffeine, although I have to sneak in a cup or two of coffee or tea once in awhile. Try to avoid chocolate. I still drink socially though. The weird thing is when this all started last winter, I stopped cold turkey all the offending food items, incl alcohol for 2 months and nothing changed. This was while I was taking prilosec. The endoscopy revealed mild esophagitis and some gastritis. Follow up pH impedance actually revealed no acid reflux. New doc said not too read too much into the Independence results though. Anyways, I'm still stuck wondering if it is something else.
I'm not a health professional, so please take my advice with caution.    I'd follow Selma's advice, and also take the Nexium exactly as prescribed.  Usually it is a half hour to one hour window before the big meal (s) of the day.  
I'd suggest you google the term Achalasia and see if what you find describes your situation.  It's not what I experienced, but I have a close friend who has this condition and it sounds to me like what you are experiencing.  
Hope this helps.  
Well this is annoying. Been on the nexium almost two weeks and while the discomfort, borderline pain at the top of the sternum is nearly gone, I have the lump in the throat feeling, that was worse now then before I started the med. How the heck does that happen? Bending over to pick something up really sets it off. It's that kind of ball in your throat feeling when you start to cry or are really upset.

Anyways, seem to have gotten relief from one pain to only move to a different location.