GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
I need help please, I feel like im dieing..

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

I am a 22 yr old male 5'5 150lbs and my problem started 11 months ago.. Ever since then , my life has been different.
I was going up my girlfriends stairs 11 months ago and I took a sharp pain in my chest. The pain was dull feeling that was painful to the point that I could just barely move. After a few minutes my girlfriend put my shoes on me and helped me out to the car. I was wheelchaired to the ER. An EKG/Chest x-ray/blood test was done that night and the doctors could not see anything wrong. After about 10 days I was able to walk around somewhat normal again but was still getting some mild pain 24/7 which sometimes spiked to a 8-9/10 pain ( once dropping me to 1 knee holding my chest). I started working at a new job 1 month later and was taking it easy.. I felt not as bad for about a week or so and decided to do a little test and help my fellow workers move a small stove..

I was fine while moving the stove, then about 2 minutes later it hit me again. I was unable to walk except for in tiny steps the chest pain was that bad. I was taken to the ER and the same thing. I might mention I did lose approx 20 lbs within 2 months after the original pain.

Since then I have had the following tests done:

EKG, Echocardiogram, Stress Test, Holter moniter
Thyroid, Diabetes, Liver (I think) , Almost everything on the blood test sheet was checked off ( 20+ things tested )
The only thing that was mentioned from all of these tests was that my blood count was just a little lower then normal + my heart rate is a little higher then normal (70-90 24/7) sometimes a bit higher but rarely gets above 110 (this is doing nothing but walking around the house or sitting down) Sitting here right now at this moment its 80.

So here I am trying anything I can to get answers. . The doctors do not seem to know what it is.
I did drink a lot of alcohol (The odd time I would over do it but on average 4-10 beers worth in a day every 1-3days, sometimes hard liqour) over the past 4-5 years. I did have 1-3 week breaks several times.

If I drink alcohol, It can make my chest pain worse for days. (I have quit 1 week ago and haven't touched it since)

Currently I have been taking Apo-Omeprazole 20mg/day for the past 8 days.. not doing anything for me as of yet. The only way I can get a little bit of relief is to take 3x Extra strength tylenol ( even then though my chest still bothers me a lot )

The doctors do not know what it is.. I do not know what it is.. I just know that I am only 22 years old, I have a 6 month old and I should be able to hold her and play with her for more then a few minutes without having to stop.. I should be able to go for a jog when I want.. work out.. ect. But I cannot do any of these things - its ruining my life and constantly making me worry i'll just drop dead someday.

Current Symptoms:
-Constant dull pain which sometimes gets sharp somewheres in my mid to upper chest area ( maybe sometimes towards the left slightly I cannot tell )
-Constant Burn/tingle feeling in my back by my spine close to my left shoulder blade. Its there 90% of the time but generally worsens when / after I eat.
-Crackling/Cracking/Rubbing noise in my chest area when I breath or move my shoulder blades in large circles front to back.
-Tightness in chest (somewhat upper chest) almost like a ball feeling and makes it feel hard to breath.
-Might be a little worse when I lay down , its hard to tell.
-I have had heartburn several times bad enough that 4-5 tums at once did nothing for it.. however I didn't have this symptom as far as I know until about 6-7 months after the original attack.

My guesses:

Gerd or Barretts Esophagus? (Perhaps my esophagus went into spasm when I went up the stairs, Tho I find it odd to have hit me all at once like that)
Paracarditis? (I hear its sometimes hard to detect but I think it would have been detected by now with all the testing that was done )
Pancreatitis?
Some sort of Costochondritis/Fibro thing?
Lupus?

I have no idea, only guesses. Any help/opinions would be very very much apprechiated!!

Thank you for your time,
Kyle.

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

U did not mention what kind of diet u r on...what u typically eat..as this can play into issues if this is a GERD issue...

Have they checked ur vagus nerve? that can cause some of the pain issues u mentioned....

If u feel it is GERD u should modify ur diet and lifestyle as certain foods and bevs  can trigger it to flare...and lifestyle,...eating more, but smaller meals in a day should help, and no laying down for 3 to 4 hrs after eating and u may want to elevate the head of ur bed, if u smoke, u will want to stop...no alcohol, carbonated bevs...spicy,, greasy, acidic foods....

See our Health Pages for tips and a list of safe foods -http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236
Gastro Tracker
Gastro