GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
I suffer from lump in the throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

I suffer from lump in the throat

I have been living with this awful affliction for the past 4-6 years.  Everytime I eat, it feels like there is a lump in my throat.  I usually drink fluid right after to wash the food down, but there is a discomfort everytime i swallow.  I had an endoscopy done and nothing wrong was found. The doctor said it was due to anxiety. I believe this to be the case, because if i think about the problem while im eating, I can feel my throat muscle begin to tighten, and sometimes it tightens so much that I have induced vomiting! Its awful! i can also hear my throat make gargle noises when its in this state of tension. When it is like this, i can not even swallow fluids. I have to wait unitl the muscle relaxes.  Does anyone have this or at least heard of this? what medications can I use to treat this disorder?
I had this in 1990 pretty bad it was a nervous condition that contributed to acid reflux later on.  I have been experimenting with different things over the years for this condition such as teas for relaxing my body, because although it goes away or in remission for years every now and then it rears it's ugly head.  I've been out of work since Febraury this year and I have developed gall bladder probloms again and GERD and the old lump in throat.  I also suspect I have gastritis or possible ulcers, because of my pain and dull ache etc.,

What your going to have to do is as doctor for some nerve medicine, or try to relax and train your mind not to think about this during eating. I drink warm Chamomile tea before meals, but not during.
Hi Loudogg444,

I was suffering from lump in the throat sensation for a year or so. It really is a horrible situation. At least you have had the tests you needed to prove that there wasn't anything nasty going on.
My lump in the throat was related to a weak lower esophageal sphincter.I found that meds didn't help my lump in the throat at all but I did find a little natural trick that eased my anxiety and helped before meal times.
If you are anxious around meal times, why dont you have a little ritual that snaps you out of the routine of worry before you eat ?
Try this.... what have you got to lose.
Pour yourself a pint of warm water. Drink it down...not too fast but don't sip it.....five big gulps or so.
Then stand on your tip toes, body nice and stretched head held high and from yuor tip toes drop to your heels nice and firm so as not to bounce. I magine the feeling being in an elevator gives you when it stops.
Do this up to ten times.Then eat your meal, nice and slow.
It worked for me. There was a slight improvement the first few times and now it is my morning ritual and I do it before all my meals. Hope it helps you. It may take your mind of sitting down to eat as it will clear your mind. xxxxxxx
I've been having that feeling for a year now. Some Dr. think is psychologic and others think it really is a condition and it's called globe. Mine is caused by GERD and I found out this summer i suffer from celiac disease (allergy to gluten). So I'm following a gluten free diet and taking Kapidex for GERD.