GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Is Wheat Elimination The Cure?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Is Wheat Elimination The Cure?

I am a healthy 60 year old that has been dealing with GERD symptoms for nearly 15 years.  This has involved being on and off Prilosec, closely watching my diet, elevating the head of the bed, etc.   About 6 months ago, my wife was reading a book about removing all wheat from the diet (today's wheat has been genetically altered and is very different from the wheat 2 generations ago) and a chapter in the book discussed reports from people that had experienced reductions in GERD symptoms after eliminating wheat.  I have never had any issues whatsoever with glutten intolerance so I was skeptical but thought what the heck and gave it a try.  After 6 months I now have zero GERD issues too - no heartburn, sore throat, indigestion, etc.  I can eat foods that were a sure trigger like tomatoe based sauces with zero symptoms (use spaghetti squash instead of pasta)!  Plus, I lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks without even trying.  To confim these results, I have eaten meals with wheat and like clockwork the GERD symptoms return.  It's truly amazing and might work for you.  What have you got to lose??

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

For many a Gluten allergy is the root cause of their reflux/GERD...for others that is not the case, but as u said  it is worth a try....

I am glad u found what works for  u and thank u for sharing this with us : )
Avatar n tn
I have 3 children with celiac disease.  two of them had reflux and had to take prevacid.  Once they had been gluten free for about a year, they were able to go off the prevacid.

I've considered dropping wheat and milk because i hear that it helps with chronic pain.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
50-Year Cover-Up
57 mins ago by gymdandee
Joel78 is frustrated, aching, tire... Comment
May 26
christineyvette Derealization is the WORST Comment
May 26