GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Is is a Hiatal Hernia?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Is is a Hiatal Hernia?

When I swallow I feel like there is a lump in my throat.  I have been having a lot of burping and some acid reflux. I have had some chest discomfort.  The local ER unit ruled out that it was heart related. I notice when I wake up the lump feeling is not there, but starts up shortly after I've woken up. Are these symptoms hiatal hernia related?
Hi there,

I have had this "lump in throat" feeling for more than 3 years now and eventually had an ENT Specialist that diagnosed it:  chricopharengeal muscle thickening due to severe longstanding GERD.

My medical history is complicated and the Chrico muscle problem not very common.  I had a hypotensive LES and that was fixed by Nissen Fundo on the 8th of Feb 2012.

As "Flycaster" suggested you should get an Endoscopy to check for Hiatus Hernia and GERD damage.  You can also get a Larynxscope done via a ENT Specialist and if he detects signs of GERD damage to your throat/larynx/pharynx you should get a referral to see a Gastro Enterologist.

I waited to long before intervention and now I have permanent damage (Barrets Esophagus) and the Chrico muscle thickening and the only treatment for that is Botillium injections and eventually surgery.

Don't wait to long before you get to a Specialist.  Please let us know how you are doing.
I'd suggest you have what is called an Endoscopy, a test that gives the doctor a visual check of the area between the throat and the stomach.  

Hi there,

My dad experienced the same thing. We went to ER twice and was sent home twice too. We went there because he can't swallow anything, not even water. They did throat endoscopy and it was seen swollen. Was given antibiotic but didn't work. He's scheduled to have esophagogastroduodenoscopy this weekend to see the root cause of it. I was thinking that it could be acid reflux but he said he's not experiencing the symptoms. I checked them here:

http://www.heartburnbay.com/acid-reflux-disease/

hiatal hernia was mentioned but not sure what it is about. Thanks. I'll keep you posted on what will happen.
Avatar n tn
Thank you.
Avatar n tn
Thank you very much.  i endo up going to a specialist and had the "endoscope" test done.  I do indeed have a large hiatal hernia (according to the doctor) of 5 cm.  He prescribed medication for the acid reflux and said that if it did not work for me I would need surgery.  I am still struggling with the "lump" feeling.  It feels like it slides up and down and my chest hurts from it.  (I know it is not my heart I had that checked already and had an EKG done as well as blood tests).  I am now taking OTC anti-gas pills and that has given me some relief, but it still bothers me.  However, I will wait a few weeks to see how it goes for me.  This has all happened in the last few weeks.  I know that if I could get rid of the lump feeling I would feel a great deal better.  Again, thank you so much for your response,  I am seeing my regular doctor in a couple of weeks and will ask him about the Chrico muscle.  He will then contact the specialist.  I will keep you and please let me know how you are doing.  Take care.
Avatar n tn
Thank you and hope your dad is doing better.
Hi there,

I am very glad to hear that you had the tests, but sad to hear that you have a large Hernia.  You should give the medication a few months to really feel the difference, but you do however need to get the Hernia fixed as you can have a lot of chest pains and discomfort from such a big Hiatal Hernia.  Some people even belief that a Chiropracter can help you, maybe even try that.

I would recommend also that you have some PH Impedance studies and manomatric study done.  The Surgeons actually require you do have these tests done before they will consider you a surgical candidate.

Out of my own experience:  don't wait to long for surgical intervention if you have severe GERD, even on the medication.  5% of the patients diagnosed with Barrets will get Esophageal cancer from it and Barrets is permanent damaged cells.

Please keep in contact and all the best,
Avatar n tn
My medical fun never ends or so it seems.  I have now been diagnosed with Celia disease (gluten intolerance).  I meet with the specialist later this month and we will be discussing treatments for all of my GI issues as well as possible surgery.  Thank you for your help.  I will keep you informed of what happens next.  Thanks.
I'm really glad you guys are discussing this problem cause I've been suffering from it for a while, first i had this feeling of a lump in my throat for a couple of weeks and its so annoying. then it was gone for a year, just now It got back.
Please let me know if those OTC anti gas are helping, and if you did that surgery, I'd really like to know.
Thanks a lot I appreciate it and hope you are feeling better.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
musicfem joined this community
Welcome them!
ChitChatNine enjoying fall-like weather ! Comment
Sep 25