GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Is it a Hiatal Hernia?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Is it a Hiatal Hernia?

For 4 months now I have been suffering from an unknown illness. I am only 22 years old and a performer. This has been the hardest thing I have ever been through and I have had to battle many doctors who want to right me off as psychologically ill. After wondering if this is real or in my head, I have found out that yes, it is indeed real. It's getting worse everyday and I am having more and more problems functioning.

I suspect that is it a Hiatal Hernia. I never knew what that was until a week ago but I feel like it is the answer to what is wrong with me.

In the begining I had a rapid and heavy heart beat, acid reflux, sharp chest pains,dizzyness, and blurry vision
But now my symptoms are: Breathing difficulties (not being able to take a deep breath, difficulty breathing from my diaphragm, contested sounding breathing, sharp pains and aches when I inhale), Acid Reflux (constantly belching, feeling like the burps are trapped, pains when swallowing, choking sensation), tight chest, pains and aches on my upper ribs, chest, and neck.
On top of all of this I have been experiencing severe panic and occasional depression which I am being treated for by a therapist.

I suspect it is a hernia because this all started after a performance on Halloween where I was wearing a really tight corset. I sang a really long note and used my entire lung capacity. When I tried to breathe in again my corset was too tight and I felt an extremely sharp pain on my ribs in the left center. It was so painful that the wind was knocked out of me once again and I felt like I couldn't catch my breath for awhile.

Another thing that factors into everything is that I was living in a place that potentially had mold. It was extremely cold and moist. I have moved out and since then have gained more energy and am not dizzy anymore. However, I wonder if it contributes to the breathing problems I suffer from.

Unlike a lot of people, I feel this all day, everyday. There is not a SECOND that I feel comfortable. Near the begining I was able to function more and feel comfortable at times. But I am getting worse and worse as time goes by.

I can't get an edoscopy for another month unfortunately so they just but me on Omeprazole, pepcids, and reglin. I don't notice anything yet but I pray they help.

Has anybody experienced anything like this?

Does it sound like a Hiatal Hernia?

This is so hard to go through, I would like to know that I am not alone!

Hi .....it is possible, but u need testing to know for sure.U mentioned mold as a possibility u had some of the symptoms....were u ever treated for it?

Not all meds work for everyone....do follow the foods to avoid list and keep a journal of what u do eat and how u feel ect....

In my experience with gerd, and my hiatial hernia I have had many of the symptoms u described, but my has cycled.

I find when my symptoms continue to get worse when on the meds..it is time to stop them,we tend to think we need to get rid of all the acid, but we do need acid to take care of the food we eat.

Use the journal as a way to show ur dr exactly what is going on...u may find foods that r on the avoid list that u can eat with out being bothered and foods on the ok to eat list that bother u...find ur triggers and narrow down what u can do to help urself.

I pray ur tests reveal what ur issues r .
Please keep us posted
"selma"
I finally got tested for mold and it said I was really allergic. Oddly enough, even though I was allergic to almost everything they tested me for, the mold one kept on popping up for the next 4 days after the test. Strange huh? Like my body can't handle it.

I'm worried cuz my symptoms are getting worse. With your breathing problems- did you have them all day?

I'm still wondering if this is caused from a hernia or not. Maybe a torn diaphragm...
If u r having an issue with mold it can be agrivating ur breathing...

U may want to have a convo with ur dr regarding the mold and most old theatres may have some if not in the costumes in the building.

Did ur dr treat u for the allergy?
Hello, I have one too and am also a performer. It has completely debilitated me. I can't even do anything half of the time but sit here and sleep. I too have become very depressed. I was wondering do you ever get pain in your right side or "liver area"? Have you gotten the surgery to fix it? How're you doing now? It is awful I hope you are doing better.