Is my GERD getting worse?
I have suffered with Acid Reflux and GERD for many years.  I used to wake up at night with horrible acid attacks that burned my throat, airway and mouth.  I was finally put on Nexium (40mg) and that helped a lot.  Recently however I have been having a fluttering sensation in my chest and throat along with lighheadness, some coughing and just not feeling well.  Although I have recently lost some weight I feel the symptons are getting worse.  Do you think these new symptons are related to the weight loss or is my condition getting worse.  I do have an appointment tonight with the GP and I know he will want to rule out cardic problems first.  Should I ask for a referral to GI doctor?
Good Morning,

I had lived with symptoms of GERD before finally being diagnosed with it late last year at 24.  I had never even heard of it before, just thought I was a fairly young kid with a lot of heart burn and reflux problems.  I too take 40 mg of Nexium every morning an hour before any of my other meds or breakfast.  It is a pain in the butt.  Anyway, I have since experienced similar symptoms, especially when I lay down in bed at night.  I explained this to my GP and she dismissed it as symptoms of GERD.  She told me that GERD can actually sometimes resemble a heart attack.  I should tell you that I doctor with the Military and that she may have just told me these things to get me out of her office.  It would not surprise me.  I have not actually felt like any of these are actually cardio problems, otherwise I would have went to the ER, but I just read your post and thought I'd share with you.  At any rate, even if you doctor with the Military, I would still talk this over with your GP, and ask for the referral if necessary.  It may also be worth knowing that studies of Nexium in humans have not been conducted beyond 6 months I believe.  My doc told me that I would need to take it for the rest of my life, I'm just not sure anyone knows what will happen to us if we take it for more than 6 months.  Hope this helps, sorry it is so long.  Good Luck!
Hi...since u have issues at night, try raising ur bed at the head of the bed to keep the acid from flowing up into ur throat.....6" is a good hight

Avoid eating ta least 3 hrs prior to going to bed....there r more on the list to help with these issues on the health pages ( icon top right )

Stress is a big factor with gerd...also if all else fails u may want to have ur Gall Bladder checked.

"selma"