GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
L-glutamine

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

L-glutamine

Did anyone try L-glutamine for GERD and had good results?? Does it help in curing GERD?Does L-glutamine help tighten the LES?? What is the best time and the safe dose to take it?
I have severe GERD ( my LES does not close properly ) and Iam taking DGL before meals and have started zinc carnosine since few days . I have lot of gas and burping. Iam on very low diet. My burping has reduced a bit but still I cant eat much and eat many foods.

I tried L-glutamine two days back and had a lot of gas and burping for past 2 days. Not sure if it did suite me or not. I took this between meals that is 3 hours after breakfast . Did this cause gas? Should I take it with meals?

Please help. Your experiences and suggestions would be  of great help

Risha

Hi...are u under a Drs care?...if not go see one, this is not something u should be doing on ur own.

From what I read on L-glutamine u should take it 1 hour b4 u eat.......

call ur PCP or GI dr and post an update

"selma"

Thanks for reverting. Actually now Iam not going to any GI as , my GI does not give me any suggestions rather he says he cant help it and cant do anything. So did not go back to him. Iam trying few things found over net as I do not have any alternative. I tried DGL, zinc carnosine ,acidophyllus and cal-mag capsules and found some relief. So wanted to try other stuff .Digestive enzymes did not help me much.

Do  I need to see another GI doctor but not sure how useful it would be.
Is there a way for the LES to tighten and be normal again. Iam just crazy of trying different things as Iam sick everyday since 1 year.
I use L-Glutamine as a workout supplement. As selmaS stated, taking it right before bedtime is the preferred method of ingestion. BUT, make sure you take in on an empty stomach, Use the powder form and mix it with orange, grape, apple or what type of juice you like. I suffered with heartburn/acid reflux for a long time until I added L-glutemine to my supplement regimen. I've not taken the first med, OTC or prescipt, for acid reflux since.

L-glutemine is not necessary in health adults as our bodies produce it naturally but if you're stress via sickness, i.e., GURD (gerd), or any other stress inducer, your body no longer will produce this amino acid in sufficient quantities. Eating meat or other protein sources will not supply you with sufficient levels of L-Glutemine. Only if you REALLY like sushi and eat it on a very regular basis will you obtain L-gluetmine from food in enough quantities to matter. L-glutemine plays a vital role in the health of the small intestine. Specifically the lining of the small intestine which will become weak and thin when a person is stressed and not producing enough L-glutemine on their own. Once this lining becomes thin, bacteria can find their way to all sorts of unwanted places in the body.

Long story short,. L-glutemine helped my acid reflux in full. But like anything else, its dependent upon lots of different factors including your specific condition and whether you're using L-glutemine properly, ie, right before bed, on an empty stomach and in powder form...not pills.
The reason eating meat won't build levels of L-glutemine is that heat denatures the amino acid. Sushi, being raw, you will be able to utilize the L-glutemine found in the flesh.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
drifter0213 commented on advanced niTD
Theobaldm1989 commented on advanced niTD
Apr 28