LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux) support forum?
I was diagnosed by LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux). I would love to discuss managing of my LPR with other LPR sufferers. However, I can't find any active support group, forum etc. Do you know about anything? Could you send me a link?

Thank you.

G.
This condition has caused hypersensitivity in my esophagus and larynx. When I eat something I should not or am tired, stressed or unwell I get copious sour tasteing clear gel like mucus that can just pour out of my throat. If I don't get this up it causes nausea. During the immune reaction I feel quite unwell. I call it throat nausea and I also get a dull headache. Does anyone else get this reaction.

I have LPR but only had a demeester score of 15 (mix of alkaline and some acid) PPI's don't work - in fact they make me far worse and I get IBS symptoms and nausea too

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

Since PPI's do not work for u, have u tried a H2blocker? Like Pepcid?

PPI's do not work for everyone, and reasons could start with u have low acid issues not high, or that they just do not work for u.....

For yrs I took a PPI and it worked well.....then they stopped working ....now on  a H2B I find more success with them and along with modifying my diet I also find I only need to take them once in a while as opposed to a regimen of daily doses.

Talk with ur Dr about other possible meds. AND modifying diet and lifestyle to help calm down ur GI issues,
Did you take Pepsin with a ppi?
Hello Shon, this is Ziana1... I have the same symptoms of LPR and similar story... My throat hurts like hell and I'm loosing the voice...( and I;m a singer)... HELP!!! It comes and goes all my life since my childhood... This time, a throat specialist told me that it's the acid that burns my throat... I took various anti-acid  medications + diet - nothing worked.( Now, it's been 9!!! months of hell... Gastoroenterologist  after the endoscopy procedure said that everything is normal in my stomach and took the biopsy... I got so confused!!! Normal???  The biopsy came with the results of some bacteria is in y stomach... Now I'm taking 2 kinds of antibiotics + 160!!! mg of omeprasol per day... Sometimes I feel better, But sometimes it get worse... It hurts !!!!   I'm very confused... Should I switch to a deferent medicine, like Nexim?  Somebody, HELP please!!!
this is Ziana1... I have the same symptoms of LPR and similar story... My throat hurts like hell and I'm loosing the voice...( and I;m a singer)... HELP!!! It comes and goes all my life since my childhood... This time, a throat specialist told me that it's the acid that burns my throat... I took various anti-acid  medications + diet - nothing worked.( Now, it's been 9!!! months of hell... Gastoroenterologist  after the endoscopy procedure said that everything is normal in my stomach and took the biopsy... I got so confused!!! Normal???  The biopsy came with the results of some bacteria is in y stomach... Now I'm taking 2 kinds of antibiotics + 160!!! mg of omeprasol per day... Sometimes I feel better, But sometimes it get worse... It hurts !!!!   I'm very confused... Should I switch to a deferent medicine, like Nexim?  Somebody, HELP please!!!
Hello, this is Ziana1... My story is similar, but I'm suffering for 9 months by now... Try Gaviscon liquid - I think it helps... Omeprasol is not helping me, so I'm thinking to try Nexim...
Hello Grosser. This is Ziana1. I've been suffering from LPR for 9 months... Taking various medications... I think gaviscon liquid helps... Also I;m going to switch from omeprazol to Nexim... We'll see... How r you feeling now? any improvement?

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum,

It can take time for the damage to heal, so continue with the meds as directed by ur Dr.....and the modified diet...keep in mind there are also lifestyle modifications that will help as well .

Next, antibiotics will cause u to continue to feel that discomfort....as our body  needs the bacteria to help break down the foods we eat, but anti biotics kill all bacteria the good ones as well as the bad, so talk with ur Dr about using pro biotics once everything of the bad bacteria is gone to help replace the good  bacteria.

Have patience, and look at what ALL u can do to help urself heal...elevate the head of ur bed....etc...and relax...http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236
Are you still around?  I need to know what your mom did!   Please help!
I'm still here. :) These are the supplements my mother takes...

Metagenics Vegetarian Digestive Enzymes: contains Protease - 30,000 HUT; Amylase - 15,000 DU; Cellulase - 2,000 CU; Lipase 600 LipU.

Nature's Sunshine Protein Digestive Aid: contains Betaine Hydrochloride - 325 mg; Pepsin (from porcine) - 65 mg.
I realised you asked me a question which I didn't see last year. Better late than never lol. Yes my mother was on acid blockers unfortunately and when she was switched to nexium full time her mental and physical health drastically deteriorated and her bile gastritis pain worsened to severe pain.
Dr. Koufman's book, Dropping Acid, has been a HUGE help in understanding LPR and eating foods that help rather than hurt.  Within a month, I'm doing much better.  I stayed on the restrictive diet longer than 2 weeks to help me settle into it.  I'm now transitioning into the maintenance phase and figuring out the triggers.  I also saw a speech pathologist as I had VCD that can be linked with LPR.  (The speech pathologist was actually the one who diagnosed the LPR and the VCD!)  Between the therapy, changing diet, and an acid blocker, I'm rapidly responding and have felt much better.  I would recommend Dr. Koufman's approach.
i am desperate here.my mom is 80 and is experiencing all of the symptoms but the phlegm is so excessive that she can barely catch a breath. i simply dont know what to do.

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

Talk with her Drs about trying an antihistamine....I had a lot of phlegm as well and post nasal drip, the antihistamines have helped me greatly.....

Also look to see if she has allergies as it may be why she has so much.....I continue to modify my diet to help prevent aggravating symptoms....

Keep us posted on what the Dr says and on how your mom is doing.
I have been suffering from what I believe is LPR for the last 3 years.  I have been put on every kind of PPI to no avail.  I took Nexium twice a day for over a year and quit taking it on my own because it brought me no relief.  I have CONSTANT burning in my throat, mouth sometimes nose and even eyes!  So much so that my doctor at my insistance prescribed Tramadol so I could at least have some relief.  I so far have not found a doctor to actually diagnose me with LPR, mostly around here they do not know what it is. I too have read Dropping Acid and found Dr. Koufman's book to be very helpful!   I am trying to follow the induction diet and I am also taking Gaviscon liquid 30 minutes after every meal and B4 bedtime.  Does anyone else have this burning constantly with no periods of relief?  Also does the surgery (fundoplication) always take care of this type of problem.   I am 60 minutes outside of Chicago and am seriously considering trying to find a doctor ENT or other who knows what I am dealing with!
My mother is free of severe GERD and severe LPR (suffered both for almost 6 years) within 3 weeks after she stopping nexium and starting betaine HCL with pepsin supplements (increases stomach acid) and also digestive enzymes (stomach acid also signals the release of digestive enzymes and bicarbonate from the pancreas required for digestion).

Excerpt from Gallbladder Attack - Stomach Acid...

"Too much stomach acid? Really? I mean, how is it that millions of people on PPIs are making too much HCl? Hyperchlorhydria or too much stomach acid is rather rare. If you're overeating, eating junk food or other food that is hard to digest, eating when stressed, living under stress, chances are much greater that you don't make enough hydrochloric acid or digestive enzymes and your symptoms stem from that. Take a look at some of the symptoms caused by low stomach acid.

Signs of Deficient Stomach Acid

Gas, bloating and burping shortly after a meal could be lack of HCl
Constipation
Diarrhea
Feeling of fullness or food not digesting
Heartburn and/or gastric reflux (sometimes too much HCl but most often not enough)
Bad breath
Foul smelling stools
Loose stools in the early morning
Food allergies
Dialated blood vessles on the cheeks and nose - Rosacea
Pernicious anemia or iron deficiency
Anal Itching
Nausea especially after taking vitamins and minerals
Weak or cracked nails
Parasites - or at least increased susceptibility to parasitic infections
Chronic yeast infections
Acne in adults - especially if you have other symptoms from the list
Asthma
Since low levels of stomach acid results in poor absorption of nutrients, many symptoms that accompany a deficiency of that vitamin or mineral makes this list much longer. The nutrients most affected are calcium, iron, folic acid, vitamin K and many B vitamins. See pernicious anemia."
thank you very much for your reply!  I do have alot of the symptoms you have listed for low hydrochloric acid.  I did try supplementing with the Betaine Hcl with Pepsin,  thought it did help some BUT  maybe I wasn't taking a high enough dosage.  Maybe it is worth a try again!  I go back to my gastroenterologist on the 30th after trying elimination of Milk products to see if it helped.  It did not!   I am going to ask him about HCL supplementation.   Thanks again
I have a large amount of phlegm in my throat which is much worse first thing in morning is this common with LPR I feel as if I am going to choke
i am suffering from blisters in my throat and acid reflux in my larynx. Its been 1 year i am not getting cured with any medicines.i dont eat food outside and i feel really sad that since one year i am not able to eat anythng i like.                  my doctor and family thinks that it is because of too much stress.i feel so depressed and now just feels i have to deal with it all my life.
I suffered from pain while swallowing and sore throat for almost 2 months. At the beginning it was a feeling of a lump in the throat that caused me to swallow saliva very often, but it evolved into pain that felt like nails were being driven through my throat. I finally went to my primary doctor who diagnosed me with GERD (based solely on history of symptoms) and gave me a strong proton pump inhibitor called Dexilant, for a month. However, it did not seem to resolve my throat issues. He recommended I go see a GI specialist, and I did. The GI first sent me to see an ENT to perfom a nasolaryngeal endoscopy to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with my upper throat. ENT found nothing, and sent me back to the GI. the GI performed an EGD endoscopy, and surprisingly enough, he found all mucose tissue in normal condition (no damage from reflux, not even Barrett's esophagus). He said "everything is perfect", and recommended I resume my normal diet.

However, not everything was perfect and I continued having pain when swallowing. I finally decided to see another ENT (it was now 3 months since my initial onset). The ENT examined me and heard of my symptoms, and quickly suggested I have LPR, or "silent reflux". He prescribed Zantac 300 once daily, 30 mins before dinner. I have been on the medication for 4 days, and initially it seemed like it curbed the discomfort, but I sill feel it (lump in throat, pain when swallowing, excesive clear-like phlegm in throat. This situation has turned my life upside down, and has nearly convinced me I have some sort of throat cancer, but I have no neck mass or other things that could suggest it (although the left side of my neck is often stiff and painful at times), in fact, given my history (no alcohol, no smoke, clear endoscopies, etc), no to doctor wants to even entertain the idea that it might be cancer. I have lost close to 20 pounds in the 3 months I have been struggling with this.

The onset of my symptoms seems to coincide with extra work load and work-related stress at the time. I think I also may have made it worse by focusing on the symptoms, because I think I have developed an very marked anxiety/depression condition as well. Has anyone had the same happen? I am curious as to how it was controlled/resolved. Thanks!
Hi ya, are you still suffering with this mine is identical but I feel like I need to burp constantly and if I can't burp my throat swells up and I feel like I'm being strangled! Worse pain I have ever had :(
I am having the same issues. Yes stress makes it worse and being in tune with the symptoms make it worse thus increases anxiety.
Take Betaine-HCl supplements, digestive enzymes, probiotics, and magnesium. Look up HCl doses online pertaining to GERD, they are different than standard HCl dosing.

This works for me as long as I don't eat anything stupid, and my GERD is going away! The HCl dose keeps getting lower and lower and after I only need 1 pill  won't need any :)
Great story!
I am glad she is feeling great for so many years.
I have GERD and I would love to try something more natural. I don't like to take medicine too much. I truly believe we can find a better and natural way to fix ourselves.
Can you tell me please what are the natural enzymes your mom take?
Maybe I can find the cure for my stomach problems as well.

Thank you.

Andreia
Glad to help! :)  We live in Australia so these exact products might not be available but there are many other brands on the market.

These are the supplements my mother takes...

Red-Star, I too live in Australia and the post about your mum is very interesting. I'm in the process of weaning myself off a PPI because after being on it for six years I find I now have LPR and after extensive online reading about acid reflux I don't believe I should continue to take this drug.

My question to you is whether your mum saw someone who suggested the supplements she is on. It's quite a lonely process weaning off the PPI without any support even though I know it's the right thing to do.  It's a painful and lengthy process for a lot of us it seems.

I recently came across a paper from the American Journal of Gastroenterology titled 'Evidence that Proton-Pump Inhibitor Therapy Induces the Symptoms it is Used to Treat'. Well, you wouldn't even need to read that paper after reading its title would you.
Hi Tink.

My mother was very ill (we are talking planning for a funeral ill) and I was searching desperately for an answer and couldn't believe it when I read LOW stomach acid was the most common cause of acid reflux.

I found a simple baking soda test online and had my mother try it out and she didn't burp for an hour. That was enough for me to take her off nexium cold turkey and have her trial a few supplements. I wasn't sure if this would work so this was trial and error.

My mother trialed a few brands which were not very good and finally found Nature's Sunshine Protein Digestive Aid and Dr Sandra Cabot's Digestive Enzymes which both worked well. Within 3 months all her health problems disappeared and within a year almost pain free from bile gastritis (now pain free and if pain returns it is because she hasn't taken enough supplements as she has bile sneaking into her stomach).

The metagenics brand is even better than Dr Cabot's enzymes because they contain more enzymes. It is a naturopathic prescription so if you can't afford see a naturopath then try Sandra Cabot's digestive enzymes which is available at health food stores.

I have read that about the rebound reaction after not taking nexium but in that study they didn't have anyone taking betaine HCL with pepsin or digestive enzymes.  My mother did not have that rebound reaction and she started to feel better in three days. Amazing. Do NOT cut betaine HCL with pepsin supplements in half. Haha.  Trial and error. :)
These are the ingredients in Dr Sandra Cabot's Digestive Enzymes...

Protease 28,000 HUT, Amylase 14,000 DU, Cellulase 160 CU, Lipase 240 LipU.
Thank you for your reply, Red_Star.

I have taken a note of the digestive supplements you recommend in case I need them down the track. What I'm doing at the moment, while I wean off the PPI, is juicing a small number of veges before meals and that has certainly helped digestion, possibly because of the enzymes in the veges.

I was taking organic raw apple cider vinegar before meals (2 tspn separately in 2 tall glasses of water) and that was stopping/easing heartburn. I'm convinced it also improved my digestion by giving my stomach some acid. However, because I have LPR as well, my throat wasn't happy about the vinegar passing over it, even though it was so diluted in the water. A few days after I stopped taking the vinegar I have had violent sore throats which wake me at night and make it a little uncomfortable to talk. So...I'm having Gaviscon after every meal now in an effort to relieve my throat symptoms. If I can get them under reasonable control again I might go back to the vinegar but not have it as often.

I'm hoping that once I can stop taking the PPI my system will rebalance but there's a likelihood I may need the supplement with acid.

For others reading this, I have found that eating a diet of mainly vegetables, a small amount of fruit and small amount of meat plus natural yoghurt for its probiotics has helped a lot. It is a very restrictive diet but I plan to stick with it until I get off the PPI which might take 2-3 months.

So many people in online forums feel better once they get off the PPIs that you really have to consider whether this medication should be prescribed until a person is assessed for how much stomach acid is actually present before starting the drug. It would appear that the majority of doctors automatically assume that reflux is a problem of excess acid when in fact the reverse is most often true. Bad scene.

It is a challenge at times to keep positive throughout this ordeal but now that even scientific papers are questioning the outcome of long-term PPI therapy, as well as the FDA in the US, I do feel it is right to get off this drug and when the symptoms get me down I focus on what I expect will be a good outcome from my action.

Red_Star, your post about your mum is encouraging and thank you for sharing it here. I'm sure she appreciates what a wonderful daughter she has.

I have LPR with all the classic symptoms. Recently I had major surgery causing me a great deal of stress; during anesthesia they also administered anti-nausea medication; in the ensuing weeks I had two rounds of anti- boots
All of which can cause a weakening of your LES.

I read Dr. Jonathan Wright's book: Why Stomach Acid Is good For You.
I started with pancreatic digestive enzymes - one before each meal. With my evening meal I started with one Bethaine HCL with Pepsin...648 mg with 150 mg of Pepsin and have worked up to 5 pills with my evening meal.

I sqeeze a fres lemon in good water and add 1/4 tsp of good sea salt, drink about 4oz. Before meals. In the fridge I keep handy blacCalamata Oliver's and pop a couple in my mouth along with well chewed good, raw almonds.

My symptoms have improved by 60 percent. Read Jonathan Wright's book, it's a real eye opener.
I was diagnosed with GERD in 2005 but now my PCP says I have LPRD.  An ENT looked at my vocal cords and observed that they were coated with mucus.  My symptoms include hoarse voice, chronic cough, and random unpredictable events of laryngitis.  This is a problem because I am a singer.  Fellow singers recommend antihistamines but a dentist friend recommends Mucinex.  I already take PPIs, H2 blockers, and Gaviscon.  What should I do?
I just got diagnosed with LPR a few weeks ago.  My main symptom is a constant clearing of my throat and post nasal drip.  I have been taking the medicine that the doctor prescribed for 2 weeks now and it seems like my symptoms are getting worse.  I now have a chronic cough and a hoarse voice.  I also feel the symptoms get worse during periods of high stress.

I have found this forum very helpful.  I am willing to try the supplements that your mom takes as I don't want to constantly have to take something every day that isn't natural.  How often does she take the medicine?

Thank you for the information. I am following a similar diet path as you (no chocolate is the hardest!). One suggestion I have is to reduce/eliminate dairy. Although it is not especially high in acid and may not be the cause of your problem, it has helped me because I think it adheres to the mucus I already have. I definitely notice increased phlegm and throat clearing after eating dairy. Soy yogurt doesn't seem to bother me as much, although it's not as tasty. On the bright side, eliminating all of these foods (especially dairy) has caused me to lose 15 pounds. It's nice to have something positive come out of this frustrating situation!
I've had what was just diagnosed (ENT) as LPR, for a couple of years. I'm a singer, or rather was.  Even with aging, I had a lovely bel canto voice until this started,  Now, I simply cannot sing, and have stopped all my chorale singing.  It's a bit of a downer!

Also, I teach ESOL to adult immigrants, and, as such, am talking a lot. But my vocal cords feel swollen or numb.

I have no symptoms of reflux (just the sore larynx!), and no acid or burping or anything that would have made me consider LPR.  My innards have virtually always been great because I have taken acidophilus and other probiotics, as well as enzymes, for decades. No GERD.

I'm faced with what to do.  I'm cutting out coffee (will still take my No-Doz in the morning though). And will watch for anything else "acidic"

The ENT prescribed some new PPI, that costs about $250.  I cannot afford that, and won't pick it up. I have taken ranitidine, and it makes me sleepy, so I just take it at night.

Other than that, I'm really more comfortable taking the Enzymes as suggested, and taking them more regularly.  I do have on-hand, a combo enzyme that includes all you referred to.

Any other ideas from your mom?

Thanks!

Did you have a barium swallow x ray? I am worried about they may think I have cancer, or is it a normal test for LPR
I have had a barium swallow. It is a natural test to see why you are having trouble swallow so it shouldn't automatically mean they are checking for cancer. Hope this helps.
About two weeks ago my throat (larynx) closed up and i could not breathe.. I dont know how long it lasted but by the time the ambulance picked me up I was having a heart attack which was brought on by lack of oxygen. I have been diagnosed with GERD for 30 years but it keeps getting worse. I have taken Zantac, Prevacid and am now on Nexium. It sounds like I may have LPR but was wondering if anyone else has had a heart attack because of this. I have an appointment with my gastro doctor on monday so we will discuss it. I have had trouble swallowing for a few years and have had tests-endoscopy, barium swallow and esophagram-with no answers. Thanks
I know it's been a long time since your post but I too have the same symptoms as you. I was diagnosed with LPR and am on the Dropping Acid diet. I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis at 50 and have been an active athletic person all my life. I don't get why my symptoms aren't going away. Did you find a cure?
I was misdiagnosed for 5 years or more. They told me I had asthma, and I had pneumonia a lot. I finally went to Cleveland Clinic and found out I have silent reflux. Five years of my life in pain and in the hospital. When my husband took me to the clinic I went in a wheel chair, this was in April of this year. When I went back in August I walked on my own. I am now going to a gym. I still am on a very strict diet. Anyone else on a strict diet? I would like to hear from people who have the same thing as I do.
Do you still need asthma meds, too?  I am thinking of setting up an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic and wonder if you'd mind telling me which doctors you saw.  My LPR symptoms are really affecting my quality of life and I need a doctor who actually understands this disease.  I know some places are starting to recognize it as an "aerodigestive disorder" meaning it affects the airways as well as the throat.  I am on omeprazole for six months now, but symptoms are still terrible...especially the shortness of breath.  I put myself on a strict low acid diet for the past three weeks, and having some better days, but still some bad days too.  What treatment plan are you on?
I am from Croatia and i also had reflux, its very bad thing,  i have been taken medication(natural) which i bought in Italy, its working perfectly and its helping me a lot. I am able to give you this info for free,   its neobiancid,  search it on internet!
Hi there,

Before you accept a diagnoses of LPR you should have some tests done:  i.e. 24 hour PH study or BRAVO capsule.

These tests will measure the amount and severity of your reflux and then you can work on a treatment plan.

If you want to follow a very good diet for reflux:  have a look at FODMAP diet on the Internet.

I hope this was helpful.
I just read about your mom--I have the same thing as her and have been taking Zypan by standard process. It really helped last time I had these symptoms but it has been over a year of being okay and not taking anything and now the zypan is not working as well. Is your mom on this forum?
In July this year I underwent Roux-en-Y surgery to fix chronic GERD. I can now barely eat anything without suffering from the worst bouts of nausea and often gag quite severely in my attempts to hold down what little food I have consumed. However I have also been suffering from what appears to be excessive post nasal drip since I had this op and a little research would indicate that it may be LPR and not a sinus infection.

My question is :-
Is it possible to suffer from LPR if I have had a Roux-en-Y procedure

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

Any surgery can cause stress to the body and the meds used during surgery can trigger symptoms of GERD to flare....and then weight loss or gain will also be a trigger....

The nausea is typical for this type of surgery as you need to slowly go back to eating a normal diet of solid foods....small meals are suggested.

Not being a medical professional I do not see a reason you couldn't have LPR after the surgery, but it is best to discuss this with your surgeon.

Let us know your progress and what you find out.
hI,
I have been dealing with some symptoms that seem to be LPR. But not sure.
for 3 weeks now, i have had
-sore throat (burning sensation/sandpaper dry
-a little hoarseness
-some nasal drip
-not much of a cough
-feeling a lump in my throat when i swallow my own Sylvia not with food/drinks
-itching/pain in both ears (not at the same time)
-swollen  neck gland
-white patch at end of throat, but mostly red
I have an apt with a ENT 1/11/15 and i super nervous. I have also been dealing with anxiety for several months, and my mind seems to go to the worst place like cancer!!
hi maggie, I'm having the same symptoms as yours, for the past 4 months. Any news form ENT?
I also have been having these symptoms for 3 months. Symptoms are as follows (Dry cough( that is not some much anymore) ,  throat clearing( for phlegm sometimes, something is there mainly after eating or drinking and sometimes its dry clearing ). , Minor Throat soreness that comes and goes, TOTAL sensation of a lump or glob in throat , feeling of not breathing enough air , minor hoarseness and  a fizzy/sizzling sound at times in my throat when I drink water.  At first it started out as what I thought was cold. I went to my PCP and he said I had lots of drainage and clogged nasal passages. I was only prescribed a steroid shot. A week later I got a feeling of something in my throat. Then a few days after that I got laryngitis. With my job I have to talk of machinery and that made it worse. I went back to the Dr and he gave me 10 days of augmentin.  3 weeks later I finally went to ENT and was treated for post nasal drip and bacteria infection as she said I had a lot of drainage in nose and throat.Prescribed Flonase which did help with nasal passages being stopped up but the sensation of something my throat remains. In the meantime I has a full physical and blood test all good there. Went back to ENT and continued flonase. The 3rd visit my ENT said it could be a combination of getting sick with a respiratory virus and my vocal cords were irradiated then and at the same time it was exsposed to acid reflux coming up in my throat. I have had GERD for many years and have been taking tums,prilosec as needed most of the time daily. I also drink daily about 4 beers per day which I think has been the main culprit to the reflux. With the ease of access of OTC PPIs its just easy to go get and eat and drink what you want. I used to eat late at night as well until I had a few bouts with waking up suddenly choking and gasping for air and reflux in my throat. I am now taking 40mg daily of Protonix , Flonase and Gavascon . On my own I have been taking Vit D3 5000mg , 8oz aloe vera juice, Drinking plenty of water with 8.8 PH.I I have also changed my diet with protien shake and banana in the AM / apple, yogurt for lunch for dinner smaller portions and a low carb menu. I have also cut down on caffeine to 1 cup of coffee. I am going to purchase a bed wedge to elivate myself when sleeping. Trying to stay busy and relax more because mt stress builds up anxiety which is making matters worse. I have a upper endoscopy  and nose scope coming up in the next month I felt I had to push my Dr's to do this but I felt it best to check it out fully.  Sorry for the bad grammar but If anyone has knowledge of this or any ideas please respond. If anyone has another remedy or story please reply. Thanks
I just wish this condition wasn't so complex but it seems to differ with each individual. Some things will bother others that may not affect me. I could have kicked the doctor that initially diagnosed me because he just told to stay away from everything. So lazy! It's not that simple. I was very ill, couldn't eat, lost almost 45 lbs and developed a sleep disorder.  Went to my PCP more than once and when I explained my symptoms she would look at me like I was absolutely nuts! I went through so much hell when I had my first experience with this debilitating disease as both my PCP and my husband, thought it was all in my head. He even recommended to my doctor a Valium prescription. I can't tell you how angry I was! Needless to say, I still have that bottle of Valium. Finally ended up making an ENT appointment on my own without my PCP's counsel. While waiting in her office I noticed a rather large file for LPR. I felt vindicated! She was wonderful and helped me a lot.
If you don't mind me asking what did she recommend ?
I'm having the reflux for 3mths now. I went to ENT and done endoscopy and he just said it's reflux and asked me take Omeg, gaviscon and domperidone for one month. Now I finished my medication but I still have the following symptoms.
1) bitter taste in the mouth in the morning
2) throat tightening
3) eat and drink ok but feel pain to swallow saliva
4) weak voice and don't want to talk much
5) excessive dry throat
I don't have phlegm in my throat. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with choking from dryness in the throat.
I'm so desperate now since it seems like ages to have these throat problems and I wish I could recover soon but don't know when and for how long.
Everymorning I wake up I have a wish and hope that today these terrible sufferings totally gone for good.
2) throat tightening
5) excessive dry throat
I was having pretty advanced symptoms LPR that just seemed to get worse every year over a course of 7 years. The worst of it has been over the past two years:

bulge in throat
constant throat clearing
constant cough
sore throat
bitter taste in throat upon waking
burning in throat
throat tightening when speaking
gagging and dry heaving in the morning
belching
feeling of acid moving up throat
constant post nasal drip

I have good days and bad days. Mostly good days now as I've almost nailed down a system that appears to be healing everything over time; it's just having the willpower to stick with this system and not fall off the wagon.

For me, I've found that I need to completely remove the following from my diet:

Raw Apples (I have a minor oral allergy to these which causes major reflux)
Most Dairy (I drink lactose free skim milk and eat freshly grated Parmesan cheese)
Pork, Beef, Processed Meats
Coffee, Carbonated Beverages, Alcohol, Tea
Marinara and Cream Sauces
Fresh Garlic
Soy Sauce or Teriyaki Sauce
Fish Oil Capsules
Spicy foods
Chocolate
Citrus
Mint
Fried Foods
Fatty Foods (anything in the double digits)
Refined sugar
Pepper and spices
GLUTEN!!!! (this has been a huge factor for me in reflux)

Snapshot of what I eat in a day:

WAKE TIME 6:30AM
Drink 16 oz. spring water with 2 DGL chewable tablets

BREAKFAST 7:30AM
B-Complex vitamin, iron with vitamin C and calcium with D3
Gluten free toast with avocado, egg whites and chickpeas OR oatmeal with chopped cooked apples
Bowl of cantaloupe, honeydew, blueberries and grapes
Everything is plain; no salt, sugar, pepper, etc. added

AFTER BREAKFAST 10:00-11:00AM
Sip 16 oz. spring water with 2 DGL

LUNCH 11:30AM
Vitamin complex A, D, E and K
Salad with arugula, kale, spinach, corn, black beans, broccoli, pumpkin seeds, strawberries, carrots and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.

Baked Sweet Potato

Grilled Salmon seasoned with a dash of sea salt OR White Bean Soup (vegetable broth, kale, carrots, cannellini beans, mushrooms, green peas and zucchini)

I take 1 HCL Betaine tablet if I eat the Salmon at lunch

1:00-4:00PM
Sip 32 oz. spring water

SNACK 3:00PM
Banana with homemade granola bar OR
Homemade granola bar with baby carrots and hummus

6:00-6:30PM
Sip 8 oz. spring water with 2 DGL

DINNER 7:00-7:30PM
1 tsp of calcium citrate powder with 1 HCL Betaine capsule
6 oz. baked chicken breast or trout or salmon
Steamed fresh green beans
Green salad

BEDTIME 10:30PM
2 Gaviscon Advance chewable tablets (the ones from the UK)

It's a pretty boring diet and very strict but it does work for me. I also use a Medcline wedge pillow and sleep on my left side. I have to be very strict about not eating or drinking anything 3 hours before bed. I don't strictly drink highly alkaline water as that seemed to inhibit my digestion, so I stick to spring water mostly like Evian or Fiji which have a higher ph than tap or filtered. And I don't drink anything during, or directly after or directly before meals. I usually will give at least a 30 minute window. I am completely done drinking anything by 6:30PM (this had made the biggest difference). I've been doing deep breathing exercises to strengthen my diaphragm and this seems to help. Getting enough sleep is crucial for me.

I have LPR. I would like to meet others to discuss symtoms
Help I have LPR and haven't eaten solid food for 4 months losing the will to live it's so painful ??