GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Left sided chest pain with reflux?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Left sided chest pain with reflux?

I have just recently been treated for a bowel infection and thought that was the end of my health troubles but chest pains and difficulty breathing persisted. My doctors seemed stumped and told me if the pain got worse to go to the ER. I did yesterday morning and after being hooked up to a monitor for a few hours, a chest x-ray and an EKG the ER doc  told me my heart is fine and that my chest pain is "probably" acid reflux and the breathing trouble is reflux induced asthma. The only person I know of that suffers from reflux is my dad and his pain was more of a burning sensation in his chest and throat and he has no problem breathing. Mine is a sharp stabbing pain below my left breast that comes and goes and sometimes radiates to my underarm. I also have a sore throat and hoarse voice a lot.  Does anyone else have left sided chest pain with their reflux and did you think it was your hear before you were diagnosed? Do you also have reflux induced asthma? I have no family history of asthma. Thanks!
I have the exact same symptoms you have plus i
I have the exact same symptoms you have plus i  cant stop burping.I have left sided chest pain behind my nipple and behind my sternum and between
I have the exact same symptoms you have plus i  cant stop burping.I have left sided chest pain behind my nipple and behind my sternum and between my shoulder blade. I find it difficult to take a deep breath all these symptoms has caused me to start having health anxiety  because i cant understand how reflux can cause left sided chest pain I had 4 ekg's
My pain is just beneath my left breast and feels as though it is behind my rib cage. It radiates sometimes to mu left underarm and through to my left shoulder blade. I also feel like I am not getting enough air. I had never heard of reflux induced asthma! The pain is worse when I lay on my back but is better when I lay on my left side. I burp a lot too!
I also have anxiety that I am seeing a therapist for and like you I have been worried about the left sided chest pain! It makes me very paranoid. I've had 3 EKGs and a chest x-ray. I've been to the ER twice in 3 months and to the doctor about 4 times.
I have the exact same symptoms you have plus I cant stop burping.I have left sided chest pain behind my nipple and behind my sternum and between my shoulder blades. I find it difficult to take a deep breath and all these symptoms has caused me to start having health anxiety  because i cant understand how reflux can cause left sided chest pain and im only 24 im way to young for these problems.I've had 4 ekg's 2 chest xrays and 2 blood works done and 10doctors has examined me in the past 3months and assured me that theres nothing wrong with my heart but i still cant shake the feeling that there is. They  suspect that I have gerd or gastritis and possibly anemic to because my stomach is not digesting my food properly im having a endoscopy done the 27th.According to all the doctors that I saw the acid vapour from your indigestion that comes up causes a irritasion in your throat which makes your throat close up slighty and it damages your vocal chords and thats the basic explenation of why you are having breathing problems,hoarse voice and sore throat.I really do wish you the best of luck and hope you get back to your old self again.
Thanks you too! I'm 24 too and like you I just feel like I'm too young to feel this bad all the time. I have a 3 year old daughter to care for and this does not help at all! I had a hard time getting a proper diagnosis since I'm uninsured. Doctors kept telling me it was all anxiety. I started going to a new clinic and they immediately found the source of most of my symptoms. A bowel infection. After two weeks of antibiotics I feel better than I did 2 months ago but the chest pain a breathing trouble persisted. The ER doctor I saw yesterday said these symptoms are likely from reflux and reflux induced asthma.Keep in touch okay! If you're on Facebook there is a group called Anxiety and I where you can read a lot of other stories from people who have anxiety and health anxiety. It helps to have a support group!
I am having a lot of the same symptoms and my GI doctor is convinced it is reflux related. Does this keep you up at night?
I actually have a sleep disorder  so I can't really say whether or not reflux affects my quality of sleep. However, my chest pains and breathing troubles are much worse at night and early in the morning. It probably would affect my sleep if I slept normally!
Stress and Anxiety can cause real problems in the digestive tract. And if you are having sleeping problems as well that will make things worst. What are you taking for the reflux? What is your sleeping disorder?
I've had both GERD and heart problems.  They can be similar and difficult to sort out...
My GERD problems were a result of a bowel obstruction.  The valve that keeps stomach acid out of the esophagus was destroyed with very forceful vomiting, and acid was washing back into my mouth and throat.  I would get stabbing pains at times like you describe until surgery fixed the problem.
My heart problems are many and long-standing, which includes heart attacks, multiple procedures and surgeries including heart bypass surgery, and lots of Angina (heart discomfort).  Never did my heart cause stabbing pains, always pressure or extreme tightness.  
The fact that you have had heart tests, plus heart trouble for a young woman like yourself is extremely rare and you are experiencing sharp, not pressure or squeezing pain would suggest from my experience that it is a GERD issue.  Acid reflux (GERD) caused me to have a hoarse voice at first but quickly burned my vocal chords and speaking is difficult.  I'd urge you to see an Internist and have your symptoms examined.  Hope that helps.
I am currently taking 20mg of Pepcid for the reflux as the doctor suggested. My sleep disorder is called Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome. I've suffered from that since I was 12. I ended up homeschooled as a result of that. I had been falling asleep in classes.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! That really puts my mind at ease. I'm sorry to hear that you've had so many heart problems. :-(  Since I've changed certain things about my diet and improved my posture when sitting, the chest pains have been far less frequent. I have not had any issues with vomiting though I have just finished treatment for a bowel infection. Since taking 2 weeks of Doxycycline my digestive issues have been resolved. The only symptoms I still have are the chest pains and the difficulty breathing at times. They doctor thinks it's reflux and reflux induced asthma. I've had some sinus issues too that I don't normally have. Can reflux trigger sinus problems like post nasal drip and a stuffy nose? Or would that be due to the asthma?
I know this comment is a little late, but we literally have the same issues - I was actually freaking out until I read this page just now and it seems my pains have diminished greatly because of it already - I can even breathe easier! So, thank you.

The nature of it moving around and happening frequently made me think it wasn't heart-related, although like you, I couldn't shake the feeling. Weird how shortness of breath and chest pain not to mention throat swelling and everything else can be caused by one thing!

Also, I'm 21, with (diagnosed) delayed sleep phase syndrome.. I wish I was homeschooled because I always got in trouble in high school for never being able to wake up on time due to a severe lack of sleep.  Anyways thanks for posting this, you're awesome and I bet you have an awesome kid!
im rhon 19 yrs old and have a thin body. i dont smoke . not even drink alcohol.. i suffer chest pains AND sometimes stabbing pain .. i also experience heartburn or burning feeling that causes trouble breathing.. i had done 2 ECG and it said my heart is normal.. i was prescribed to take mefenamic acid for the chest pain if necessary. now my question is "does acid reflux cause stabbing pain near the heart??.. i feel fainting now..
I am a 27 year old female just lost my mom and daughter and father in law in the same year I have been to hospital twice two ekgs both normal I have herd and anixty I have shoulder pains arm pains and aches mainly left side and when I eat or drink something I hurt in my chest can stress and gets really do all this sometimes my jaw hurts and my neck have headaches everyday
I was actually just recently diagnosed with neurally mediated hypotension and since being put on medication, I feel SO much better. The difference is absolutely amazing. I wish I had been diagnosed earlier. I had had a bunch of other symptoms besides the ones I listed but the doctor's kept telling me it was reflux and anxiety. It got a lot worse and I was eventually sent to a cardiologist and then to a neurologist. I knew it was something else but the docs were just not hearing me out. :-(