GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Lemon Water

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Lemon Water

I have read and researched that Lemon water (lemon) while ACIDIC, is actually ALKALIZING for the body, once it is absorbed etc.. is there truth in this?

Hi...I would suggest talking to ur Dr....the only thing I found in favor of this fact was a company that sold an item to ionize the water u put the lemon in.....so, not sure I would trust that train of thought.....

In addition u may want to ask ur Dr about probiotics which help get ue system back to it's natural balance.

"selma"
Thanks Selma, I take a daily vitamin that has probiotics etc... Will check with the doc!
All citrus fruits turn alkaline when they are metabolized by the body.  Drinking 3 glasses of orange juice a day improved my symptoms of acidosis (had pH under 5.5pH). I found this out by accident as i though i had potassium deficiency (oranges are very high in potassium).
Never heard about Orange juice???? I knew only of Lemon, Lime and vinegar.... so it is true?
"It is a known fact that citrus fruits like oranges and lemons are highly acidic as they contain a high amount of citric acid. But still, dietitians consider them as low acid forming foods. Why? Simply because, they no longer behave like acidic foods upon consumption. The breakdown of these citrus fruits during digestion produce an alkaline residue. In other words, citrus fruits turn alkaline when they are metabolized and so it would be foolish to say that blood becomes more acidic by eating oranges or lemons. In fact, an orange or a lemon juice are often said to be one of the most alkaline beverages."
yea, that is exactly what I read/researched.. Dissociation.

I have been doing this for a couple weeks now so am waiting to see the effect. The hearburn I think has subsided, but today I have realy sharp painful abdominal etc. so am wondering if this thing is helping or making it worse.

I usually take half a lemon squeezed into luke warm water.

I understand that most people have a hard time with taking this cause it probably aggravates the issue when it's first taken right?

Oranges, pineapples and other citrus fruits can greatly increase stomach acid.  While that sounds like a bad thing, the most common cause of acid reflux issues is low stomach acid. If you have high acid, gastritis or an ulcer, citrus fruits can cause pain.

The baking soda test.

Mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate, not baking powder) in an 8 ounce glass and drink it.

If sufficient quantities of acid are present in the stomach, bicarbonate of soda is converted into gas, producing significant bloating and belching within 5 or 10 minutes of drinking the mix.  Little or no belching is suspicious for low stomach acid.
hmmm ok. I am hypothyroid... at the very early stages!! Maybe that's cause of it too..

So if it's high taking lemon water is not good?
If it's low, taking lemon water is good or not..
Hypothyroidism tends to slow metabolism in general which causes the parietal cells in the stomach to produce less stomach (hydrochloric) acid. So lemon juice should be beneficial. Supplement wise, digestive enzyme supplements help with digestion and betaine HCI with pepsin increases stomach acid. Apple cider vinegar is a old home remedy to help with low stomach acid too. :)

ah, ok thanks Red.... I will do the test!

I know I shouldn't but I took a nexium today.. it REALLY helps..

so if I have too low of a stomach acid what does that do acid wise, I guess I don't understand how having low stomach acid can cause hight stomach acid??
Nexium masks symptoms but all acid blockers a short term drug only - up to 14 days, 3 times a year - Proton Pump Inhibitor warning - FDA March 2010.  Low stomach acid does not cause high stomach acid. This is an explanation of how low stomach acid causes acid reflux:

"During digestion the stomach secretes acid to lower its pH to around 1.5-2.5 range. More protein in the meal results in a greater need for stomach acid. Individuals with non-obstructive acid reflux are often not able to get their pH low enough. The LES is known to be a pH sensitive valve that initiates closure when pH drops under 3.0. When the stomach does not have enough acid, the LES remains open and acid can spill into the esophageal region and damage the tissue."
hmmm, how does "During digestion the stomach secretes acid to lower its pH " work???
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
drifter0213 commented on advanced niTD
1 hr ago
Theobaldm1989 commented on advanced niTD
selmaS, and The_Marine_Corp_Brat commented on The_Marine_Corp_Brat's status
Apr 27