GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Mysterious Abdominal Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Mysterious Abdominal Pain

Hello everyone. My name is Shannon and I'm new to this forum. I've been searching the internet trying to find out what's wrong with me, and I stumbled across this site. I'm hoping there's someone out there who has some answers for me because my doctors don't know what's wrong. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question or not. If it's not, please forgive me.

In July of this year, I started having pressure in my chest. I went to the urgent care and they didn't find anything. The urgent care sent me to a cardiologist who did a stress test, nuclear imaging test, and an echocardiogram. All of those came back fine. A few weeks later, I had what felt like fireworks going off inside my chest. The pain started on the right side and branched out across my chest. Knowing that my stress test was normal, I tried to wait it out. The next day, I couldn't take it anymore and went to the ER. My EKG was normal again, but they admitted me so more testing could be done. While I was in the hospital, I had an MRCP, nuclear imaging studies, another echocardiogram, and a heart catheterization. The nuclear imaging test showed that I had sludge in my gallbladder. The other tests came back fine. I was sent home and told I was fine. By this time, the intermittent pain was gone.

The next week, the pain and pressure came back with a vengeance. I went to the doctor and they had my gallbladder out the next day. Since I've had my gallbladder out, I've been in constant pain. I also get spikes of pain that send me back to the ER. It's been about a month since my gallbladder was removed and no one has any idea what's wrong. I've had multiple CT scans, MRCPs, an ERCP, an ultrasound, and every kind of blood test imaginable. I'll be having a colonoscopy tomorrow as well. The GI doctor told me that he seriously doubts he's going to find anything. It's the only test I haven't had yet, so we have to exhaust all available options.

I have constant pain where my gallbladder was. It's tender to the touch. I never know when the spikes of pain are going to come. The twinges are nearly unbearable. I also will get pressure in my stomach like I've swallowed something and it's stuck. The pressure isn't in my throat, and I don't have heartburn.

Right now, the doctors have me taking percocet (5-325) every four hours and bentyl four times a day. None of the doctors I've seen have any idea what's wrong. If my colonoscopy comes back fine, they said they'd refer me to a pain clinic.

I don't know what to do or who I can turn to. Thank you in advance for any advice or information you give me.

Hi...if u had sludge, it is no wonder they took out ur GB, but did they also test u for H.Pylori?...if not ask for that to be done.

U did not mention that u were vomiting, but u may want to rule it out.

U do not have to have heartburn to have acid reflux, there is a condition called Silent reflux and one symptom is to have the feeling of items being lodged in the throat.I am adding a link to the Health Page on this type of reflux, please note, not everyone will have all the symptoms listed.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Gastroenterology/Symptoms-of-Laryngopharyngeal-Reflux-are/show/779?cid=236

"selma"

I wonder if during the surgery, a major nerve was cut.  I'm not a health professional so keep that in mind when you read my post.  However, I'm a survivor of two stomach surgeries as well as heart bypass surgery, and can tell you that cutting a nerve is a worry of surgeons.  
Keep us informed.

Could be Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. The sphincter of oddi is situated in the upper intestine (duodenum), where the pancreatic and bile ducts enter.
When the sphincter malfunctions, it becomes overly tight and does not allow adequate drainage of the pancreatic and bile ducts.

The result is a pressure build up in the ducts, leading to recurrent episodes of pancreatitis or biliary pain mimicking gallstone disease. Treatment is an endoscopic cutting of the sphincter (sphincterotomy).
I'm currently trying to get get an appointment at Duke University to have the SOD option looked at.
After having several more tests done, the doctors still don't know what's wrong.  I finally got an appointment and Duke and I'll be going there next week.

So sorry u still do not have answers, but some things have been ruled out, so u know what it is not.....

I pray u get more answers next visit...please keep us posted.

"selma"
Thank you Selma.