GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
NISSEN FUNDOPLICATION

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

NISSEN FUNDOPLICATION

Hi, my name is Carlos, I just have a Nissen Fundoplication a week a go, and I am experiencing a burning sensation in my chest.
Is this a normal postsurgery symptom? Im still taking PPI 20 mg/day the doctor told me to stay with the treatment.
Before the surgery i did not have this kind of symptom when I was  taking my medication, just when I suspended  it.

So I want to know if this "burning" is temporary, or is this just that the fundoplication failed.

TK

Listen to ur dr and continue with the meds as the drugs and meds used for the surgery can aggravate ur reflux, so it may take some time for it to calm down.

Good luck

"selma"
only a week in you might be over doing it maybe eating food your body cant cope with yet. i found that chest pain was food getting stuck, also you are still very sore from opp. 1 week is very early days.
TKY, Julie , maybe my diet is not the appropiate im gong to check that out.
I had a nissen fundoplication July 24/09 and it came undone November of 2009. I am having it redone March ll, in two more weeks. I had to sign for a nissen and an open as they have no idea until they go in which one it will be. I also had chest burning etc after for a few weeks. Maybe because it was coming undone, I have no idea. I finally went back in January with horrible reflux, heartburn etc, had a barium swallow which showed it was undone with another hernia. I am not looking forward to it as I know how the hospital stay was the last time. Have you had any relief Carlos? Hope yours stays put where it is inteded. They have no idea how mine came undone. I am freaking out about it hoping I do not have to have an open one, recovery from the first was awful since I developed pnemonia (pneumonia) in the hospital from the first stay.
yes food is probaly the reason for your burning . I stayed on jelly custard and mash potatoes for  2 weeks after mine  
hope this helps bonnie2_055
HI. I AM 1 WEEK POST OP. I GET NAUSEATED EASY. AND HAVE PAIN IN MAIN CHEST AREA TOO. NOT REALLY HEARTBURN BUT KNIFE STABBING PAIN. MD SAID IT WAS FROM SURGERY. MAY HAVE SWELLING THERE TOO.

I HAVE BEEN GET WITH MY DIET. NO PROBLEMS SWALLOWING.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT AS FAR AS EATTING HERE ON OUT. MD SAYS NOTHING MUCH. EXCEPT STAY ON SOFT FOODS FOR NOW....

HELP ANYONE?

AND WHEN DOES SURGERY PAIN STOP????
HI....well everyone is diff as to how fast or slow u recover...and if ne foods will still affect how u feel once u have recovered from the surgery itself.Give urself time....look at ur own history as to how well and quickly ur body heals.

I did not have this particular procedure, so I can not comment on it, but surgery in general...u just have to be patient.

Good luck
"selma"
I had the nissen surgery in late May 2010, I too had that terrible pain in my chest and it did go away. Now I am having terrible pain after I eat constant diarrhea and major gas bloating and last night I felt like I had to vomit although as we all know I can not I got dizzy and started shaking and sweating and almost lost my bowels on myself ( sorry for the description) I was that way for about 30 min then I just passed out. I would like to know if this has happened to anyone else and what you were told. My insurance has been maxed out and I can't go back to the doctor. Thanks for listening! Melissa