GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Need advice very badly
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Need advice very badly

I'm a 61-year young female, first-timer to this site and hope someone can help me very soon. After taking all of the GERD and heart tests, seeing 2 gastroentrologists and a surgeon, I was diagnosed with severe GERD in Oct '07. I have tried all the PPI's with not much success. I began using Protonix 40mg twice a day in Nov and after a while it finally relieved the burn with only occassional acid breakthrough. However, had bad side effects - headache, body aches, insomia, rapid heartbeat and heart palp's like a heart attack, diarreah (diarrhea) and weakness. I made all the lifestyle changes - bland diet, bed elevated and have lost 45 lbs. I don't need to lose any more weight, but continue to because there are very few foods that I can eat.

My new GI changed me from Protonix to Zegerid 40mg twice a day. After about the 4th day I felt much better - no more headaches or body aches, the heart palp's were not as bad and I feel stronger than I have in months.  The problem:  today marks 2-1/2 weeks of taking the Zegerid .  Starting the past 4 days straight the acid reflux has returned pretty consistently, along with chest tightness, laboured breathing, back pain, cough, nausea and anxiety.  My Doctor is out of town so I called the pharmacist who said the Zegerid should have started to work consistently 5-7 days after taking it and suggested that I go back on the Protonix starting tomorrow..

Please give me some advice. Now that I feel like a human being again, I really don't want to return to the Protonix because of its bad side effects, particularly the scary heart palpatations and the headaches. Feeling this burn again and new side effects after knowing relief is hard to deal with.  I appreciate any insight you all can give, along with information/experience you have on Zegerid and if I should try to hang in there with it longer. My next doctor's appointment is not until 3 weeks. Thank you.
Tags: Reflux