Nerve damage after gastrofundoplication
Had a fundoplication 4 months ago for acid reflux. After surgery food gets stuck in my esophagus, and I have gastroparesis. I'm way worse off than I was. I feel there has been nerve damage. Lost over 50 pounds and cannot eat.  Just want normal life back. Has anyone else had nerve damage?

Hi Todd,  I have not had this procedure, and have heard just as many good results as bad....as with ne surgery we have to research our Dr and the procedure and weight the risks against the potential benefits.

All surgery has risks...and some of us take longer to recover from surgery....if u do not have a history of slow healing, then go get another opinion from another Dr.

If u have nerve damage, there is nothing that can be done to repair that, but if it is something else going on, u might be able to feel better.

Good luck and do post an update : )

"selma"
One of the remote dangers of the surgery you had is a nerve can be cut.  A fifty pound weight loss in my opinion demands a second opinion regarding the procedure.  I had the same procedure and it went well, I had about a ten pound weight loss, but no problem with swallowing.  
Most insurance companies have a provision for second opinions.  I'd ask for a second opinion from a doctor at a teaching hospital.  

As Selma suggested, I hope you keep us informed.
I had a similar procedure done back in 2004. To this day, I have to drink hot coffee with certain foods that have a tendancy to get "stuck". It seems to relax my esophagus. If I don't, my esophagus will "spasm" and not let anything pass and it is very painful. I believe that there has been some kind of nerve damage from the procedure also. My only cure is to eat more slowly and find something like I did (hot coffee) that will relax your esophagus and allow food to pass and not get stuck.