New Endoscopy shows Hiatus Hernia, why?
I just came back from my endoscopy. The Dr. said that he found no food in my gut (Thank God), he found some water, and he found a small hiatus hernia. This last part bothers me. I had an endoscopy in January, and there was never a mention made of a hiatus/hiatial hernia. Could it be that it's so small that the first doctor bothered not to mention it. Or can it be that I've developed it since then? How could I have developed it since then? How can I keep it from getting bigger/wider/worse? I want to start working out again eventually, and I don't want to do any exercises (abs and chest) that are going to make the area worse? Any advice?
There r sliding hiatal hernia's  and they can be missed.

And yes, they can just be small......so , I am not sure if ur's is the sliding type or not...but it is possible to miss them.

I do know tight clothes like pants can be bothersome, not sure if it would cause it to form....the following is from the gastro forum:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Gastroenterology/Hiatal-Hernia-and-Movement/show/883949
******************************************************************************************************
As you know, a hiatus hernia is a condition in which a portion of the stomach is displaced into the chest.  The condition is very frequent.  It has been estimated that 250-500/1000 population in the North America have a hiatus hernia. Hiatal hernias are considered important, because of the erroneous perception that a hiatus hernia predisposes to esophageal reflux.  We now know that acid reflux into the esophagus is usually due to inappropriate relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter, the muscle barrier between the stomach and esophagus.  The hiatus hernia is an incidental finding that is not related to the development of the clinical problem.  
Individuals who exercise will often have heartburn due to acid or food refluxing into the esophagus.  When you lift weights or do situps you strain and bear down increasing the pressure in the abdomen.  This increased pressure can overcome the pressure in the lower esophageal sphincter causing material to reflux into the esophagus.  Therefore, although exercise does not make a hiatus hernia worse, it can cause symptoms that are often considered by the lay public to be associated with a hiatus hernia.  
The only way that you can prevent reflux is to avoid exercises that increase intraabdominal pressure, not a realistic option for most people who exercise.  The good news is that the reflux episode usually lasts a short time and there is no long term consequences of the reflux.  However, if you are in the minority of patients who have severe reflux symptoms associated with exercise, you may consider taking one of the over-the-counter H2 receptor antagonists e.g. Pepcid AC, Tagamet HB etc.  If your symptoms are very bad, you should be evaluated by your physician.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation.  Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: hiatus hernia, esophageal reflux
0.4