GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Omeprazole and shoulder pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Omeprazole and shoulder pain

I'm a 29-year old  slightly overweight woman.  My cholesterol is on the high end of normal and my triglyceride level is super low -- only about 43. I'm a vegetarian and eat a low-sodium diet. I use NuvaRing.  My only health problem is chronic acid reflux. I have been prescribed omeprazole (20 mg a day), but I try to avoid taking it because it gives me a headache. I find that if I take it every two days it works just as well and usually if I take it for a week, I can then go several days without it. Last week, after not having taken omeprazole for weeks, my heartburn was really bad, so I've taken the omeprazole the last three days. Tonight, I had sudden shoulder pain that at first felt like I'd just moved wrong (I have a desk job and my chair makes my back hurt), but it got worse over the course of an hour or so. I am confident that I'm not having a heart attack, but I did see shoulder pain on a list of omeprazole side effects. At the moment, I'm fairly certain this is just a muscle spasm, but could it be caused by the omeprazole? Since it gives me headaches, other symptoms don't seem that strange. When I first got the prescription, I had 40 mg (not sure why the doctor changed it) and I had one or two instances where I got dizzy a few hours after taking it.

Hi...if the meds give u a HA, call the dr and get on something else....omeprazole is the generic of Prilosec and is a PPI...ask about trying a H2 blocker.PPI's take a while b4  u feel the benefits...and if u do not take them as directed they will not work.....
BUT whenever u have side effects u need to call ur dr ASAP.....

"selma"
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
selmaS commented on ChitChatNine's status
Dr. Peter Glidden ND
17 hrs ago by gymdandee
ChitChatNine is having fun! Comment