GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Pain after gastric botox injection

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Pain after gastric botox injection

I have had a total of 3 Botox injections for gastric phereis. They work amazing well....HOWEVER....immediatly after the injection I have horrific pain right in the middle of my abdomen that last about 24 hours. Has anyone else had this?? My GI doc, who I adore, and is very knowledable and caring is refusing to do any more injections becasue of the pain I have after the injection. He wants me to go and see a GI Doc at a teaching hospital to see if there is anything else he can do. Thought's???
While I've not had Botox injections in the abdomen, I had them in several areas on my forehead and head as a treatment for migraine.   I had one of the worst headaches of my life the next day and read on a site that others have this temporary reaction.   Botox is derived from botulism, a powerful neurotoxin. It paralyzes muscles but doesn't anesthetize pain receptors.  This may just be the way your nerves respond to the toxin and send some strong pain signals.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
Joel78 is frustrated, aching, tire... Comment
May 26
christineyvette Derealization is the WORST Comment
May 26
Joel78 commented on Jzabs's status
May 25